I’ve been baking all afternoon because starting in about 20 minutes, a huge line of storms will push it’s way into central Oklahoma.
I wanted to get all of my cooking done before the possibility of a power outage!
I love this time of year. Storm season typically lasts for two months and the clock just started ticking.
When I can, I stormchase. For work, of course.
I’ve seen the horrific damage of gigantic tornadoes…I covered the Moore 2013 tornado and the tornadoes in Bridge Creek last year.
It’s terrifying, it’s fun, it’s surreal…weather is a force of nature here in Oklahoma.
Anyway, I was baking some muffins of leftover fruits that were a day away from rotting. I used the recipe for my Back-to-Basics Banana Bread and then added two chopped apples, a cup of golden raisins and made them into muffins—baking for about 30 minutes instead of 55 at 350 degrees. They turned out great!
I also made the lemon cheesecake bars I promised in my preview of this weeks’ posts. That recipe will be posted soon!
Now for the main course: I made this zippy chicken casserole last night for dinner. It turned out to be really tasty! I haven’t had jerk chicken since Caribfest 2008, so I can’t quite remember what it tastes like—but I think this hits the spot!
If you find yourself in crunch for time to make dinner, this casserole fits the bill. It’s hearty, it’s warm and it’s super healthy and low-carb.
Jerk Chicken with Sweet Potato Hash
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 3/4 tsp ground allspice
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp ground red pepper
- 1 TBS. vegetable oil
- 1 can (15 oz.) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cubed (about 3 cups)
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 2 tsp. cornstarch
- 2 TBS. sliced green onions
- Heat oven to 375 degrees. Spray a 9×13″ glass baking dish with cooking spray. In small bowl, combine the salt, pumpkin pie spice, allspice, thyme and red pepper.
- Rub spice mixture all over the chicken thighs. In large skillet, heat vegetable oil over medium high heat. Brown chicken thighs for 6 minutes, turning once.
- In prepared baking dish, layer beans and sweet potatoes. Top with chicken. In small bowl, mix honey, lime juice and cornstarch. Add to skillet. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly until thickened. Pour over chicken.
- Bake, uncovered for 35-45 minutes. Make sure sweet potatoes are fork tender. Sprinkle with green onions.
Skill Level: Pretty easy. All in all, this recipe takes about an hour from prep-to-finish.
Versatility: You could change up the spice mix if you wanted, or if you prefer chicken breasts, use that! As long as you keep the sweet and spicy flavor profile, then you get the picture of what jerk chicken tastes like.
Flavor Profile: Sweet, tangy and spicy—this dish has it all. Black beans are really hearty and salty, so they balance the sweet heat of the spice mix/lime-honey sauce.
End Score: A! I will be keeping this recipe in my back pocket, so to speak, for when I need to make dinner on the fly.