Get ready to settle down for another edition of Squash September!
This time I’m making something with one of my favorites of the gourd variety: butternut squash. This long and bulky gourd has a nutty & sweet taste that is fantastic roasted or thrown in soups & stews.
I dug out this aromatic stew recipe to try since I have an overabundance of butternut squash at the moment. It tastes homey, yet exotic, and is warm and inviting. Top it off with sour cream and pine nuts, and you have yourself a tasty, spicy squash stew.
Spiced Beef & Butternut Stew
- 2 lbs. beef stew meat (chunks)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 large butternut squash, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 tsp. ground ginger
- 2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1.5 tsp hot paprika
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 (28 oz) can whole peeled tomatoes, juice included
- 4 TBS. Pine nuts, toasted
- Sour cream, for serving
1. Lay stew meat in crock pot. In small bowl, mix together ginger, turmeric, paprika, cinnamon, 1 TBS. Salt and 1/2 tsp pepper.