Well, I did it.
I finally cracked the secret recipe of Olive Garden’s famous soup.
Now I can hold my own endless soup dinner. And thanks to me, you can too. There’s nothing quite like this creamy potato soup—it gives you those warm fuzzies inside. This soup is also fantastic on a cold, wintery day (too bad it’s 90 degrees here) and it’s something the whole family can enjoy.
But beware: it’s easy to eat the whole pot in one sitting if you’re not careful…especially when your grocer is selling some fine local Italian sausage.
- 1 lb. Italian sausage, sliced thin
- 1 TBS. Olive oil
- 2 large russet potatoes, cut into 1/4″ quarters
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp. basil leaves
- 2 tsp. parsley
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 16 oz. chicken broth
- 1 quart water
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 bunch (about 3 cups) kale, chopped
- In large pot, heat olive oil over medium high heat. Add sausage, onion & kale; sauté until sausage is brown-ish and onion is tender.
- Add basil, oregano & parsley, continue cooking 2 minutes. Add potatoes, chicken broth and water; reduce heat to medium low and simmer, covered for 45 minutes to an hour until potatoes are tender.
- Add salt and pepper to taste, cream and kale. Turn to low heat and Cooke another 4-5 minutes, until soup is heated through.
- Serve in bowls and top with shaved Parmesan cheese. Enjoy!
This is probably my most favorite soup I’ve ever made—and I have a lot of favorite soup recipes! It’s so creamy and wonderful, and the kale makes it so much better. You definitely should top it with shaved Parmesan, it gives it an extra oomph that it deserves!