It has been so dreary here this weekend; cloudy, rainy & chilly.
All I’ve wanted to do this weekend is lounge on the couch and eat cookies and watch reruns of Buffy. Sounds like a great weekend, right?
I did manage to go to the grocery store yesterday, so I can mark that off my to-do list. I found all the ingredients for this delicious recipe I stumbled upon a few weeks ago.
It’s basically like having your very own Chipotle in your kitchen—if it was Cuban food instead of Mexican. A Cuban Chipotle personal kitchen! There you go. You get the gist.
I’ve never made Chimichurri before, but now I’m glad I know how to make it. It’s so tangy and refreshing; like a salsa without tomatoes. Plus, I love cilantro. The more cilantro, the better.
Cuban Chicken Rice Bowl with Chimichurri
- 1 TBS cumin
- 1 TBS hot paprika
- 1 TBS garlic powder
- 1 TBS cajun seasoning
- 1/2 TBS crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 2 (15 oz) cans black beans, undrained
- 1 package Vigo yellow rice
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 TBS. Olive oil
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro
- 1 bunch fresh Italian parsley
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup walnut oil
- 1 TBS. white vinegar
- 1 TBS lemon zest
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 TBS water
- 1/4 tsp salt
- In large bowl, combine cumin, paprika, garlic powder, cajun seasoning, red pepper flakes, salt & pepper. Add chicken to the bowl & toss to coat.
- In large skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken, cook 5-10 minutes until chicken is done & juices run clear. Set aside.
- Heat both cans of black beans in a pot with bay leaves and minced garlic. Meanwhile, in large pot, cook yellow rice according to package directions.
- Make the Chimichurri: add all ingredients except for walnut oil to a food processor. Pulse until thoroughly mixed, 1-2 minutes. Add walnut oil & pulse for another 1-2 minutes until a thick sauce is made.
- Create your bowl: start with yellow rice, then beans, then chicken. Top with Chimichurri. Serve.
A yummy, spicy meal for a cool fall evening. The chicken was just the right amount of spicy, the rice & beans salty, and the Chimichurri was tangy. This dish hits a great flavor profile. Enjoy!
(Recipe adapted from: One Foodie)
One thought on “Cuban Chicken Rice Bowl with Chimichurri”