Christmas is almost here. You can feel the anticipation in the air.
December 23rd is usually I day I spend making goodies and snack for Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. I won’t be doing that this year because I have to work, but I’ll be with everybody in spirit who prepares for the big holiday.
One thing that I’m not very confident in making for Christmas is any type of cake or baked good. I can make cookies and pies, no problem. But cakes are one of the harder things for me to make.
I am a cook first, and a baker LAST. I’m not the world’s best baker and I don’t try to show off much of my baked goods.
I made these cupcakes on a whim, though, and I think they turned out pretty well. The frosting was the best part. I’m not a buttercream kind of gal, but the frosting was insanely delicious. The cakes ended up a little on the dry side, and I’m not sure how to fix that, but maybe you’ll have better luck with your oven.
Like I said: the frosting MAKES this recipe.
Gingerbread Cupcakes with Eggnog Buttercream
Gingerbread cupcakes topped with rich eggnog buttercream are perfect for a Christmas party.
1. In a large bowl or stand mixer, cream together 1 stick of butter with brown sugar. Slowly add in molasses, eggs and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Beat until well combined.
2. In a large bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, ginger, allspice, cloves and salt.
3. Add 1/3 of the flour mixture to the butter mixture, beating on low speed. Add 1/2 of the milk to the butter mixture. Continue alternating between milk and flour mixture until everything is well combined.
4. Pour gingerbread mixture into a paper-lined muffin tin, filling each cup about 2/3 full.
5. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-22 minutes. Let cool in pan for a few minutes before transferring to a wire rack.
6. Make the butter cream: in stand mixer, beat 2 sticks butter until creamy. Add in powdered sugar, 1 teaspoon vanilla, and eggnog. Beat until creamy and spreadable, adding more eggnog if needed, one tablespoon at a time.
7. Once cupcakes are completely cooled, pipe eggnog buttercream on top. Top with sprinkles and serve.