“Butter ‘n Love Recipes” is a cookbook I’ve been reading over the last several days.
It comes from Iowa Park, Texas (where I grew up) and includes recipes submitted by members of the Christ the King Ladies Auxillary. I’ve already made a handful of the recipes that are tucked away in its yellowed pages, and all of them have come out delicious.
This popover pizza recipe is one of them. The “popover”-style crust didn’t exactly do what it was supposed to, but that doesn’t mean you have to scrap the whole recipe.
This is basically an upside-down pizza. The crust is on top with the meat, cheese and sauce on bottom. It’s a great way to serve something unique for dinner.
You can include your favorite pizza toppings in this recipe. I made this for my husband’s lunches, so I stuck to what he likes: meat and cheese. I used ground turkey instead of ground beef and also threw in some pepperoni for good measure.
If I were making this for just myself, I would’ve added mushrooms, bell peppers and onions. I bet that would make a REALLY good popover pizza.
An upside-down pizza bake with a crunchy crust and meat filling.
- Cook the ground turkey/beef in a large skillet until meat is browned. Drain off any grease.
- Add sauce mix, tomato sauce, and water, mixing well. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Spoon mixture into a greased 13×9″ baking dish. Top with pepperoni sliced.
- Sprinkle mozzarella cheese on top of pepperoni.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs, milk and oil until foamy. Add flour and salt and beat mixture until smooth. Pour batter over meat mixture, spreading evenly. Sprinkle top with Parmesan.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until top is puffed and golden brown.