I was contemplating life this morning while peeling and cubing butternut squash.
Yes, I was chopping a squash at 10 o’clock in the morning. Hey—the early bird gets the worm, right? I had to make something with it in the crockpot, hence the early morning squash choppin’.
Anyway, I was contemplating the most random life things while prepping my crockpot dinner for the day:
Why can’t Starbucks serve PSL year-round?
How come VHS beat out beta in the early 90’s?
What if nobody would’ve invented flat screen TV’s? Would we still be watching shows on those huge 4×3 monstrosities? Where do we go from here?
How is Supernatural still on? Isn’t it on, like, it’s 20th season?
Are there any original movies anymore, or are they all remakes/adapted from a novel/adapted from real life?
I can’t feel my right hand anymore. I have now developed two calluses on it——one on my index finger and one on my middle finger….
Oh, that last one was toward the end of my time carving my way through a three pound butternut squash. My hand had started to become one with my knife. It’s inherently difficult to cut up butternut squash, and yet I never buy the premade, cubed version of the stuff. Huh.
So, before I slumped into my butternut squash cubing stupor, I made this dinner the night before (in the same crockpot I was prepping today). It makes SO SO SO SO much food, so I should be set for lunches for the upcoming week. Two pounds of boneless, skinless chicken thighs really go a long way.
This recipe is insanely easy, and has an intriguing flavor profile. Thai flavored, of course, but also citrusy and sweet and peanuty. I’ve been using this recipe’s coconut rice recipe for years and yet I never had the bright idea to actually MAKE this full recipe.
I’m glad I’ve finally tried it now. I also can’t wait to try it again!
Slow Cooker Thai Peanut Chicken
Thai flavors shine in this slow cooker chicken dinner, served alongside coconut rice.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 8 boneless, skinless chicken thighs (2 lbs.)
- 3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup orange marmalade
- 2 TBS. sesame oil
- 2 TBS. soy sauce
- 2 TBS. teriyaki sauce
- 2 TBS. hoisin sauce
- 1 can (13 oz) coconut milk
- 1 cup uncooked jasmine rice
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup chopped peanuts
- Place flour in a large, resealable plastic bag. Add chicken, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat. Transfer chicken to a 4-5 quart slow cooker.
- In small bowl, combine the peanut butter, orange juice, marmalade, oil, soy sauce, teriyaki, hoisin, and 3/4 cup coconut milk. Pour mixture over chicken.
- Cover crockpot and cook on low for 4-5 hours or until chicken is tender.
- Make the coconut rice: In a small saucepan, bring the rice, water and remaining coconut milk to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until rice is tender. Fluff with a fork.
- Serve peanut chicken over rice, pour a little sauce over the top and then sprinkle with peanuts.
Place flour in a large, resealable plastic bag. Add chicken, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat. Transfer chicken to a 4-5 quart slow cooker.
In a small bowl, combine the peanut butter, orange juice, marmalade, oil, soy sauce, teriyaki, hoisin and 3/4 cup of the coconut milk. Pour mixture over chicken. Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours or until chicken is tender.
Make the rice: In a small saucepan, bring the rice, water and rest of the coconut milk to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until rice is tender. Fluff with a fork. Serve chicken and sauce over rice and sprinkle with peanuts.