I cannot believe that Christmas is only 5 days away! It feels like just yesterday it was Thanksgiving. Heck, just yesterday was Halloween, right??
I’ve already got the turkey breast defrosting in the fridge since we are having our Christmas dinner on Friday. On Sunday, it’s all about the Christmas breakfast casserole in the morning while opening our presents. Then, Rob & I will be off to work. And can you believe it—instead of snow on Christmas day—we may be getting tornadoes! What world are we living in?!
This weekend I made my coworkers their Christmas gifts: a choice between two homemade snack mixes. One salty, one sweet (I’ve been trying to lookout for my diabetic coworker!). The sweet one disappeared quickly; I had forgotten how many of us have a sweet tooth. I decorated little jars with ribbon & Merry Christmas tags I had found at Hobby Lobby. It was pretty tedious making these, but well worth it in the end.
This St. Nick Snack Mix was cute and fun, and definitely looked the Christmas part. I used holiday M&M’s (red & green only) to make it even better. A few awesome things about it: it’s no-bake, only takes a few minutes to make, and doesn’t leave you with boxes of half eaten cereal that you will never eat. I love white chocolate covered savory things (like pretzels and Crispix in this recipe), but you could use whichever chocolate you prefer.
St. Nick Snack Mix
A fun and festive snack mix that is the perfect blend of sweet and salty.
- 2 1/2 cups pretzel sticks, broken into pieces
- 5 cups Crispix cereal (or other rice chex-type cereal)
- 2 1/2 cups Cheerios
- 2 1/2 cups dry roasted peanuts (unsalted)
- 1 lb. white chocolate baking bars
- 2 bags Holiday M&M’s
- Mix together broken pretzel sticks, Crispix cereal, Cheerios and dry roasted peanuts in a large bowl.
- Melt white chocolate according to package instructions. Pour over cereal mix, stir carefully until each piece is well coated.
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Pour chocolate covered cereal mix on baking sheet. Spread into a thin layer with a spatula.
- Let mixture sit for 20-30 minutes until hardened and dry. Break up into pieces and place in a container or containers. Toss with M&M’s.
Break pretzels into pieces and throw into a large bowl.
Stir together Crispix, Cheerios, and peanuts with the pretzel sticks.
Melt white chocolate according to package instructions. Pour over cereal mix and carefully stir together with a spatula until well coated.
Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Pour cereal mix on baking sheets and spread into a thin layer with a spatula.
Let mixture dry and harden (about 20-30 minutes). Break into pieces and place into a container.
Toss with M&M’s and serve or put into jars as a gift.
This snack mix would be a great treat for kids on Christmas, too. Everybody at work seemed to like it, so I know those sugar-addicted fiends would like it too. You can change the cereal out to different ones if you prefer, but I’ve found Cheerios to be quite delectable in both sweet AND savory snack mixes.
Stay tuned for another festive (and spicy!) snack mix recipe tomorrow that you can serve for Christmas day!