Yesterday, I shared this sweet snack mix recipe with y’all. I ended up making two different snack mix treats as Christmas gifts for my coworkers, and the other one is this Chipotle-Lime snack mix recipe you will find below!
Since there are technically no “Chex” cereal in this savory mix, I decided I would swap out the word for “Tex”—short for Texas, of course. The two flavors really invoke my Texas roots, so I thought I would pay homage to that.
I currently have three different chili powders in my spice rack (one can never have too many chili powders) but chipotle chili powder is by far my favorite. You can really tweak the seasoning here so long as you keep the key chipotle-lime flavor. I wish I would’ve amped up the cayenne, because I have a really high tolerance for spicy things—but I guess most people prefer a more mild spice.
Chipotle-Lime Tex Mix
A spicy & savory snack mix full of pretzels, Cheerios, Cheez-Its, and nuts.
- 1 cup Cheez-Its
- 1 cup Cheerios
- 1 cup pretzel sticks
- 2 cups dry roasted peanuts (unsalted)
- 1 cup cashews
- 8 TBS. butter
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 tsp. Worcestershire
- 1 TBS. brown sugar
- 2 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp. chipotle chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- pinch cayenne
- 1 tsp. salt
- Preheat the oven to 250 degrees. In a large bowl, combine the Cheez-Its, Cheerios, pretzel sticks, peanuts and cashews. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Turn off heat and then add juice of 1/2 a lime, Worcestershire, brown sugar, smoked paprika, cinnamon, chili powder, garlic, salt and cayenne. Stir well.
- Pour butter mixture over the snack bowl. Stir until each piece is well coated. Pour mixture into a roaster or Dutch oven and bake for 1 hour, stirring every 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and place on parchment paper lined counter in a thin layer. Sprinkle remaining 1/2 of a lime juice over the top and toss gently.
Preheat oven to 250 degrees. In a large bowl, combine the Cheez-Its, pretzels, Cheerios, peanuts and cashews. Set aside.
In a saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Remove from heat. Stir in juice of 1/2 a lime, Worcestershire, brown sugar, smoked paprika, cinnamon, chili powder, garlic powder, cayenne, and salt. Stir well.
Pour butter mixture over snack mix and stir until well coated. Pour mixture into a roaster or Dutch oven and bake for 1 hour, stirring every 20 minutes.
Pour cooked mixture onto parchment paper lined counters into a thin layer. Sprinkle juice of remaining 1/2 of a lime on top and toss gently.
4 thoughts on “Chipotle-Lime Tex Mix”
They turned out great! 😊❤️👍🏼
Thank you!! It was tedious but well worth it in the end.
This looks so good!