If you’re like me, you have a TON of Thanksgiving leftovers in your fridge. I’m sure you’ve made plenty of turkey sandwiches by now, but what if you could make an amazing dinner out of your leftovers?
I’m here to tell you that’s possible and it’s super easy.
I made this casserole last week with chicken, but it can easily be swapped out with turkey meat. Make sure you pick over the meat really well, nobody wants a stray bone in their casserole.
If you’ve got some leftover corn, you could also put that in the topping!
Leftover cheese from a cheese tray? Throw that in as well.
This is a mega leftover casserole, so the more leftovers you throw in, the better.
I was pleasantly surprised with how this recipe turned out. I opted for a non-sweet cornbread mix for the topping, and I think you should too (that means no Jiffy). The creamed corn is sweet enough to give this casserole a hint of sweet without overpowering it. You’re really looking for a savory casserole here.
Southern Chicken & Cornbread Bake
A simple casserole to throw together with leftovers that tastes amazing in the end.
- In a large bowl, mix together chicken, poultry seasoning, garlic powder, sour cream, milk, shredded cheese and green onions.
- Grease a large 13×9″ baking dish and preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a smaller bowl, whisk together cornbread mix, egg, butter, and creamed corn until well combined.
- Pour chicken mixture into prepared baking dish. Top with cornbread mixture, using a spatula to spread out cornbread mix until it covers the chicken mixture completely.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until top is golden brown. Serve with extra sour cream and hot sauce.