It’s always nice to take a break, and a four-day weekend is exactly what I needed. I have Christmas presents to buy, places to go, people to see…well, not those last two parts, but I am definitely behind on my Christmas shopping. I tend to lean procrastinator, so that’s no surprise here.
I am also very hit-or-miss when it comes to gift giving. Sometimes I think of the most amazing present, and then I’ll go on a Christmas and birthday drought where I have no clue what to get someone. I’m currently in said drought, so here’s hoping that I get some divine intervention tomorrow.
There’s finally a chill in the air here in Oklahoma, so I’ve been making quite a few soups and hearty dinners lately. I had a can of green chiles sitting in my pantry the other day and had that “a ha!” moment: I could make white chicken chili! I only needed to buy some great Northern beans, everything else I already had in my kitchen.
I fell in love with this recipe years ago when I had it at a potluck. For someone who isn’t particularly fond of regular chili (I know, I’m a Texan that doesn’t like chili!), I was smitten at first bite. This chili is creamy and warm, and it fills you up like a normal chili. I didn’t have any heavy cream, so I had to do my handy substitute—-this is great to know if you don’t have any cream handy. This won’t whip like cream will, but in recipes that call for heavy cream this will work pretty well. Just heat these ingredients together in a saucepan:
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter
- 3/4 full-fat milk
If you buy 1% or 2% milk, add 1 tablespoon of flour to the mixture to thicken it up. This substitute is a good one to keep.
White Chicken Chili
A creamy, white chili full of green chiles, beans, and chicken.
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breast, cubed
- 1 tsp. ancho chile powder
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 2 cans (15 1/2 oz. each) great Northern beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (14 1/2 oz.) can chicken broth
- 2 (4 oz. each) cans green chiles, chopped
- 1 tsp. each: salt, cumin, and oregano
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1//4 tsp. cayenne
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- Sprinkle chicken breast cubes with chile powder. In a large pot, saute chicken, onion and garlic powder in oil until chicken is no longer pink.
- Add the beans, broth, chiles, cumin, salt, oregano, pepper and cayenne. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
- Remove from heat ad stir in sour cream and whipping cream.
Sprinkle chile powder over chicken cubes. In a large pot, saute chicken, onion and garlic powder in oil until chicken is no longer pink.
Add the beans, broth, chiles, and seasonings to the chicken mixture. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and then simmer for 30 minutes.
Remove pot from heat and then stir in the sour cream and whipping cream.
One thought on “White Chicken Chili”