I’ve been dying to find new shrimp recipes.
I love shrimp. I adore it. Shrimp was my favorite food growing up. When my mom would ask me what I wanted for my birthday dinner, half the time it was some form of shrimp or seafood. Shrimp was always a fancy, but not too fancy form of dinner.
I bought a gigantic bag of frozen, raw, peeled and deveined shrimp at Costco a few weeks ago and started researching what all I should do with the stuff. I managed to make two different meals out of the shrimp (I probably could have stretched it to three, but again, I love shrimp) and both of the meals were incredible.
This simple shrimp recipe is a banger. It’s sweet, spicy, and fragrant in all the right places. I did mess up by frying the shrimp in olive oil instead of vegetable oil, so don’t do that. Other than that, it was an incredibly delicious dinner that I can’t wait to eat again soon.
You can serve this shrimp over rice or in a stir-fry with mixed vegetables. It would probably also taste good inside an avocado half, or on top of a bed of quinoa.
Chile Garlic Shrimp
A sweet and spicy shrimp that pairs well with rice and vegetables.
- 1 lb. shrimp, peeled and deveined (don’t use cooked shrimp!)
- 1/4 cup rice wine
- Pinch of salt
- 1 1/2 TBS. cornstarch
- 1 TBS. all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup Sriracha
- 2 TBS. brown sugar
- 3 cloves garlic, minced fine
- 1 TBS. soy sauce
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- In a large bowl, toss shrimp with rice wine and salt. Let marinate while you make the sauce.
- Make the sauce: in a small bowl, whisk together Sriracha, brown sugar, garlic and soy sauce.
- Pour oil into a large skillet so that it covers the bottom of the skillet (not too deep). Heat over medium-high heat.
- Drain rice wine off of shrimp and toss shrimp with flour and cornstarch to coat. Fry in batches until golden brown on both sides.
- Turn off heat and wipe pan clean. Pour sauce into pan and heat over medium-low heat until bubbly. Stir in shrimp and toss to coat. Serve on top of rice.
3 thoughts on “Chile Garlic Shrimp”
Fantastic meal, but then again…I’m a shrimp-lover. 🍤🌿
I am too! This could be my new favorite shrimp recipe…a toss up between coconut shrimp and this!
Shrimp cocktail goes a long way at my house. Easy, too. 🤣