You ever feel queasy after getting your blood drawn?
It happens to me every. Single. Time.
I can look at someone else’s blood no problem. But as soon as I see my own blood outside of my body, all bets are off. I’m getting light-headed just writing about it now.
I had my yearly physical today and had to get some blood drawn to check my liver enzymes (I had slightly elevated fatty liver during my last blood draw). I need to take better care of myself, meaning more healthy foods and exercise. I have been trying that for years, but sometimes you really need a kick in the butt to get motivated.
Of course, you can still count on treat recipes from me every so often. But I want to mainly be a place of good eats AND good-for-you eats.
This recipe fits into both of those categories. It was a spur-of-the-moment, “gee what’s in my pantry” type of meal and it was absolute perfection.
Lean meat: check. Healthy grain: check. A bit of cheese to top it off so I don’t go crazy: Check.
This recipe fits all of the boxes.
Turkey Taco Quinoa Skillet
A simple, healthy and delicious skillet dinner with quinoa, beans, and ground turkey.
- 1 lb. ground turkey
- 1 TBS. olive oil
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- 4 oz. can green chiles, diced
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (14.5 oz) can diced fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1/4 cup salsa
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 1/2 cup water
- Shredded cheese and cilantro, for topping
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add turkey and saute until browned, about 4-5 minutes. Stir in taco seasoning and mix until well coated.
- Stir in green chiles, beans, tomatoes, salsa, quinoa and water. Let mixture come to a boil then reduce heat to a simmer.
- Simmer, covered, for 25-30 minutes or until quinoa is cooked.
- Sprinkle cheese on top and serve garnished with cilantro.
2 thoughts on “Turkey Taco Quinoa Skillet”
Yess. Turkey is so versatile in homemade dishes. We love it at our house. 😍🌿
Ground Turkey is always stocked in my fridge!