I’ve been feverishly combing through ancient cookbooks looking for the perfect dinner recipe.
It’s what I do when I don’t have any inspiration for weeknight meals. I’ll grab a few cookbooks off my bookcase and then flip through the pages until something catches my eye.
There’s a “Butter ‘N Love” cookbook from the 1970’s that’s caught my attention on quite a few occasions. I’ve probably made a half dozen recipes out of that cookbook by now. It’s packed full of Southern and down home cooking, and it has some unique and interesting staples as well.
There’s a meatball salad recipe I can’t wait to make from that cookbook. I found that recipe for Rice Krispie chicken in that cookbook.
It’s full of surprises.
This recipe is a bit more classic, unadulterated, and simple. It didn’t catch my eye because of a bizarre ingredient or a strange way of cooking. It caught my eye because of its simplicity.
I love a good casserole recipe (who doesn’t?) and this recipe has it all. Noodles, chicken, veggies, and a casserole standby: cream of chicken soup.
The only regret I have after making this is not putting two cans of cream of chicken inside. It also needed a bit more seasoning (I stuck with the original recipe to see how it turned out, but I admit it could use some more seasoning).
If you’re in the mood for a simple casserole dinner, this one is a winner.
Chicken & Broccoli Noodle Casserole
A simple casserole for a perfect dinner on a busy weeknight.
- Cook noodles according to package instructions. Drain and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, stir together soup, milk, salt, pepper, garlic powder and paprika.
- In a large, 13×9″ baking dish, place chicken on the bottom. Top with half of the cheese. Add noodles and cooked broccoli.
- Pour soup mixture on top of noodles and stir around. Sprinkle remaining cheese on top.
- Bake, covered, for 30 minutes.