We’ve officially blown past the “enjoyable” part of summer and plowed right into the “miserable, please make it stop” part.
A heat wave has set up shop over the state and shows NO signs of letting up. It’s gross, humid, and relentlessly hot outside.
I’m trying my best not to cook anything in this house (except for special occasions). Salads and sandwiches are the key to getting through the summer.
When I do cook, I like to keep it simple and only make things that are quick. Nobody wants to stand over a hot stove for an hour.
This is a great dinner recipe to meal prep on the weekends and reheat throughout the week. It doesn’t take a lot of time to throw together, either.
Top this with whatever your heart fancies. I liked it with avocado, cilantro-lime sauce (you can find it at Costco) and fresh cilantro. I bet it would be good with cheese, green onions and tomatoes, too.
Honey-Lime Chicken and Sweet Potato Stir Fry
A simple skillet dinner that's easily customizable with sweet potato, chicken, corn, black beans and avocado.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add chicken and seasonwith cumin, chili powder and cayenne. Cook until browned, about 4-5 minutes per side. Remove to a plate.
- Heat remaining tablespoon oil and add onion, jalapeno, bell pepper and garlic. Saute for 3-4 minutes and then add sweet potatoes. Cook until slightly softened, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in corn and black beans and continue to cook for another 5-8 minutes.
- In a small bowl, stir together honey, lime juice, and a little bit of chili powder, if desired.
- Add chicken back to the skillet and stir in honey-lime mixture. Cook for another 5 minutes.
- Stir in chopped avocado and serve skillet meal with cilantro and sour cream, if desired.