There are a lot of regional sandwiches I’ve never had before.
I’ve never tried beef on weck, a classic hoagie, and I hate to admit it—I’ve never tried an Italian beef sandwich.
Pretty much any sandwich hailing from the upper midwest or northeast I’ve never tried.
I’d like to change that, though. My husband and I are traveling to Ohio-Pennsylvania-New York this fall and I hope to try some new sandwiches. In the meantime, I’ll make my own version of Italian beef at home.
I was inspired to do this recipe by one of my favorite TikTok creators, CheySingh. Her Italian beef recipe looked mouthwateringly-good. I made a few deviations to create this version but I think it’s pretty good recipe to have.
CheySingh used eye of round, but I used chuck roast in this recipe. Chuck roast oozes a strong beefy favor, but I think eye of round might be a better cut to use if you can find it. Just make sure you have about 3-4 pounds of meat.
If you can’t find Italian beef seasoning like I did, use a packet of dry Italian dressing seasoning.
Slow Cooker Italian Beef Sandwiches
A simple, slow-cooked Italian beef for sandwiches. Top with provolone and banana peppers for a delicious sandwich.
- Heat a large pan over medium high heat. Season chuck roast with salt, pepper and garlic powder. Sear chuck roast on all sides until browned, about 3-4 minutes per side. Transfer roast to a large slow cooker.
- In a small bowl, whisk together Italian beef seasoning with water. Pour over chuck roast. Add broth to slow cooker as well.
- Add pepperoncinis and juice to slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours or until meat is tender.
- Take roast out of slow cooker and shred with two forks. Return meat to slow cooker and stir into juices.
- To make the sandwiches, add shredded meat to a toasted hoagie roll and top with cheese and banana peppers. Serve juice from slow cooker to dip sandwich into.