My big skillets have been getting a workout these last few weeks.
My heavy-duty cast iron skillet just stays on the stovetop now since I use it so much. My big, deep Magnalite skillet (with a lid!) is also a well-used pan in my rotation.
One reason I’ve been using the heck out of my big skillets lately is that I’ve been making more skillet meals. I adore skillet meals. They’re simple, easy to make and easy to clean up.
I spotted this recipe on TikTok last week from BritsCookin. I thought my husband would like it for his lunches this week so I cleaned off my big Magnalite skillet and got to work.
I’m honestly surprised any of this actually made it to his lunchbox—I could’ve eaten the whole thing! It’s a solid meal with exceptional flavor. It’s a 10/10 for me.
If you want to cut back on the sodium content, replace the broth with water. I did half-and-half so it wasn’t so salty and it turned out perfect.
Cheesy Chicken and Rice Skillet
A simple skillet meal made with cheesy rice and seasoned chicken.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Season chicken with garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, salt and pepper on all sides.
- Brown chicken in oil for 3-4 minutes per side, until lightly browned. remove chicken to a plate.
- Saute garlic in oil for 1 minute. Stir in butter and rice from Rice-a-Roni boxes and toast for another 1-2 minutes.
- Slowly add water and broth to skillet. Let mixture come to a boil. Add chicken back to skillet, reduce heat to a simmer, and cover. Simmer, covered, for 15-17 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Stir in seasoning packets to skillet and remove from heat. Let sit for 5 minutes before serving.