I have a strange fascination with pinwheels.
And not just of the food variety. I love the shiny, iridescent plastic ones that kids stick into the front yard and then watch spin around in the breeze. I had a coworker who had a miniature one on her desk and I couldn’t help but flick it every time I walked past it. Pinwheels, guys. I’m easily amused.
Don’t get me wrong, I also love the food pinwheels. Turkey & cheddar. Pimiento & pepper. Ham & swiss. Pinwheels are cute little finger foods that everyone loves—and that everyone can eat a million of in one sitting. I ALWAYS go for the pinwheels at parties, even when I have no clue what is stuffed inside of them.
When I was going through my recipe box the other day, I spotted this recipe. I was only looking for something to make for dinner that night, but I couldn’t help but want to try these. So, with my grocery list in hand, I waltzed through the doors of the grocery store on a mission: to find the ingredients to this childhood favorite.
I thought the “Vidalia onion salad dressing” would be difficult to find, but not only did I find it—I found MULTIPLE different brands of the stuff! It’s slightly sweet, tangy and creamy, so it compliments the cream cheese and raw veggies well. You can mix & match and expirement with different veggies if you’d like, just remember to keep the creamy base so everything stays snug inside of the tortilla!
- 1 (8oz.) package cream cheese
- 2 TBS. Vidalia onion salad dressing
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh broccoli (I pulsed mine in the food processor)
- 1/4 cup finely grated carrot
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1/2 tsp. dill weed
- 4 whole wheat tortillas
- In small bowl, beat cream cheese and salad dressing until well blended. Stir in finely chopped broccoli, carrot, onion and dill weed.
- Spread veggie mix over tortillas. Roll up tightly and wrap with plastic wrap tightly. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Unwrap & cut each log into 8-10 slices. Makes about 32 pinwheels.
I think this appetizer would be a great snack for kids…it’s tasty AND you can sneak some veggies in there without them noticing! And everybody loves the pinwheel shape…well, maybe just me, but I love the swirls. Enjoy!