It’s been a wild ride this March Madness. Crazy upsets, last-second buzzer beaters, and legacy teams falling like dominoes. That’s the way the cookie crumbles this time of year. It’s thrilling and nail-bitingly wonderful watch. It’s terrible and heart-achingly sad when your favorite team loses. I love it.
I didn’t manage to watch the Florida-Wisconsin game, but I read and watched highlights of Florida’s miraculous victory. A final half marred with turnovers for Wisconsin, the Badgers fell short of the Elite Eight by only one single point. Could you imagine how those players must feel today? To be so close to victory, yet still lose at the very last second.
I have no feelings toward either team, but it sounded like an exciting game to watch. I’ve also never managed to visit either state. That makes today’s edition of Meal Madness a bit difficult to conjure up, but I think I did a decent job.
Florida is allegedly an amazing place to go marlin & swordfish fishing. These huge fish produce some fantastically tender steak meat. I’ve cooked up swordfish steaks a few times and it has always ended up being delicious. A gentle sear on both sides and you’re good to go.
I paired the swordfish steak strips with a mango-avocado salsa packed with fresh bell peppers from the farmer’s market. Purple cabbage added even more color and crunch. Top it off with a drizzle of crema and you have yourself quite the tasty taco.
Pro-tip: use two warm corn tortillas when building your taco. With so much stuffing, having only one tortilla will result in the fall-apart-and-all-over-your-plate catastrophe. That’s no bueno. Two corn tortillas ensure no taco disasters.
Swordfish Tacos with Mango-Avocado Salsa
- 1 (7oz) swordfish steak
- 1 TBS. olive oil
- 1 tsp. cayenne
- 1 TBS. paprika
- 1 TBS. cumin
- 1 TBS. parsley
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 1 tsp. pepper
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 mango, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1 avocado, chopped
- 1 small white onion, diced
- handful of cilantro, roughly chopped
- 3 TBS. lime juice
- corn tortillas
- shredded purple cabbage, crema, cilantro for topping
- Combine spiced in a bowl and then rub all over swordfish steak. Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add swordfish and sear for 1-2 minutes on both sides until browned and flaky. Transfer to a cutting board and cut into strip.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine the mango, bell peppers, onion, avocado, cilantro and lime juice. Stir and mix well. Refrigerate for at least 15 minutes before serving so flavors can mingle.
- Build your tacos: warm up corn tortillas and fill with swordfish strips, purple cabbage, mango-avocado salsa, crema and cilantro.
Combine spices in a bowl and then rub all over swordfish steak.
In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add swordfish steak and sear for 1-2 minutes on both sides.
Remove swordfish when it is browned and flaky. Transfer to a cutting board and cut into strips.
Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine the mango, bell peppers, avocado, onion, cilantro and lime juice. Refrigerate for at least 15 minutes so flavors can mingle.
Build your tacos: warm corn tortillas and then pile on the swordfish strips, purple cabbage, mango-avocado salsa, crema and cilantro.