You ever get those cravings for hearty comfort foods?
I’m talking cravings for a big bowl of chili, or a cheesy serving of homemade mac n’ cheese, or a plate piled high with meatloaf and mashed potatoes. Delicious and unhealthy comfort foods.
You ever crave that?
I do. I try my hardest to not crave those terrible-for-you things, but it’s almost impossible to completely cut them out of my diet. Everything is good in moderation, and it is completely fine for you to eat your heart out with comfort food….as long as you limit it to once a month or so.
Kentucky hot brown sandwiches are the epitome of comfort food. Gooey cheese, deli turkey meat, and crispy bacon. How can that not be considered comfort food?! It’s even better when baked all together on sweet, sweet Hawaiian rolls.
I had purchased a few ripe tomatoes from the farmers market a few days before, and they tasted so wonderful with a crack of pepper on top. I buried the juicy tomato slices under a mound of bacon and the classic Hot Brown was transformed into delectable little sliders.
Pro-tip: For crispy bacon without all of the mess of frying, bake strips on a baking sheet lined with foil. I bake mine at 400 degrees for 8-10 minutes, or until bacon is browned and crispy. Watch out! There will be a lot of drippings on the baking sheet. Be careful to not slosh the hot grease onto you.
These little guys are perfect for a family picnic, or good on their own in a sack lunch. I ate a few of these sliders while storm chasing the other day, and it sure beat having to eat a bag of peanuts from a gas station. These sliders really hit that comfort food spot!
Kentucky Hot Brown Sliders
The classic Kentucky Hot Brown sandwich transformed into bite-size sliders on sweet Hawaiian rolls.
- 12 Hawaiian rolls
- 1/2 lb. sliced deli turkey breast
- 2-3 tomatoes, sliced thin
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 12 slices bacon, cooked
- 4 TBS. butter
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp. paprika
- 10-12 slices white cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Melt butter in a small bowl in the microwave. Stir in nutmeg and paprika. Set aside while building your sliders.
- In a large glass baking dish, place bottom halves of Hawaiian roll in baking dish, cut side up. Brush bottom buns with half of the butter mixture. Place a layer of turkey on the buns, followed by a layer of tomato slices. Sprinkle pepper on top of tomatoes.
- Top tomatoes with cheese and then bacon. Place top halves of Hawaiian rolls on top and then brush with remaining butter mixture. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until cheese is melted and tops are golden and crispy.
Melt butter in a small bowl in the microwave. Stir in nutmeg and paprika and set aside.
Place bottom halves of Hawaiian rolls in a large glass baking dish. Brush roll bottoms with butter mixture and top with a layer of turkey.
Top turkey with tomatoes and pepper.
Place cheese slices on top of tomatoes.
Top sandwiches with bacon and then the tops of Hawaiian rolls.
Brush remaining butter mixture on top of the sandwiches. Bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes or until cheese is melted and tops are golden and crispy.