Merry Christmas Eve!
Rob & I had our Christmas yesterday, so now it’s all about eating leftovers and playing with our gifts. We both made out like bandits! Rob’s big gift to me I’m using right now: a new Chromebook! I’m in love with it and it’s so much faster than my old laptop. For Rob’s big gift I bought him a vintage, mint-in-box Jurassic Park Stegasaurus. You’re probably scratching your head right now.
Well, Rob is a collector of all things Jurassic Park. This 25-year old toy is now the star of his collection. He was in love! He also got a ton of other JP gear and KC Royals stuff. I think he had a pretty good Christmas.
I also got a new Pioneer Woman cookbook, and my second favorite present: a Pioneer Woman crockpot! I immediately threw my ten-year-old crockpot in the trash. I can’t wait to use my new one. I’m also pretty obsessed with Ree Drummond, so…
The last meal I made in my old ratchety crockpot was this version of chicken tacos. Let me tell you about my love affair with chicken tacos real quick—I’m smitten with them. A few months ago I got this insane craving for just plain pulled chicken (with tomatoes and Mexican spices) inside of crunchy tacos (I rarely eat crunchy tacos) and I couldn’t shake it.
No, I’m not pregnant. It was just one of those weird cravings that just strikes you out of nowhere and it can’t be quelled into you get it. So I ate some crunchy chicken tacos at a few restaurants and made it a few times in the crockpot before my craving disappeared just as quickly as it had come one.
When I ran across this recipe it was like I had awoken a sleeping giant.
Chicken tacos, oh how I’ve missed you.
These lovelies taste way different than the ones I was eating, but in a delicious and good way. I’m quite fond of poblano peppers and green chiles, and the slightly sweet and tangy taste of the chicken was pure perfection. I usually eat tacos in soft corn tortillas, but these beckoned fluffy flour tortillas. Flour is sturdy to hold up all the moist chicken and the peppery juices.
Save a few poblanos for roasting to put as topping on your tacos. I also switched between Monterey Jack and queso fresco as my cheese for the tacos; both worked beautifully.
Poblano & Honey-Lime Chicken Tacos
Spicy, tangy and slightly sweet slow-cooked chicken tacos.
- 3 lbs. boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 3 poblano peppers
- 1 (4 oz.) jar chopped green chiles
- salt & pepper
- Juice of two limes
- 3 tsp. Sriracha hot sauce
- 2 TBS. honey
- 2 tsp. chipotle chili powder
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- Flour tortillas, queso fresco, and fresh cilantro for serving
- Place chicken on the bottom of a large slow cooker. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together green chiles, lime juice, Sriracha, honey, chipotle chili powder and garlic.
- Chop one poblano pepper and sprinkle over chicken. Pour honey-lime mixture over chicken.
- Cook on low for 6 hours.
- Meanwhile, roast remaining poblano peppers. Place on a foil lined baking sheet and turn broiler on. Broil for 4-5 minutes until skin is blistered. Peel and cut into strips.
- Once chicken is done cooking, shred with stand mixer with a paddle attachment or using two forks. Season with more Sriracha if you want it more spicy.
- Make the tacos: spoon chicken into tortillas and top with poblano strips, queso fresco, and chopped fresh cilantro.
Place chicken on the bottom of a large slow cooker. Season with salt and pepper.
In a large bowl, whisk together lime juice, honey, Sriracha, green chiles, chili powder, and garlic.
Chop one poblano pepper and sprinkle it ontop of chicken.
Pour honey-lime mixture over chicken. Cook on low for 6 hours.
Roast remaining poblano peppers and cut into strips. Once chicken is done, shred by using a stand mixer with a paddle attachment or two forks.
Make the tacos: spoon chicken mixture into tortillas and top with poblano strips, cheese, and chopped fresh cilantro.