We’ve been eating a lot of sandwiches lately.
One of my favorite things to do is get some Red Bag Chicken from Aldi (if you know, you know), a brioche bun and some pickles and make knock-off Chick-Fil-A sandwiches.
I’m also quite fond of a regular turkey, cheese and mustard sandwich. I’ll live on tuna salad in the summer months. A grilled cheese sandwich is almost always on tap.
This is just another wonderful sandwich I’ve dreamt up since the pandemic began. I like expertimenting with different meats, cheeses, and spreads. This sandwich may sound weird, but it’s oh so good.
If you’re one of those people that like sliced cheese on apple pie, this one is for you. Grilled chicken and sliced green apples are married together with shredded cheddar cheese and a light basil mayonnaise.
The basil mayonnaise is simple: it’s just mayo, fresh basil, and a little squeeze of lemon juice plus black pepper. If you’re sick and tired of dressing your sandwiches with regular mayonnaise or mustard then you should amp them up! It’s simple to do and tastes so much better than the regular stuff.
I’m going to have to make more of these sandwiches soon—they were that good. You’ve got the tart & sweet bite of the apple, seasoned chicken and sharp cheddar cheese, and a delicate basil mayonnaise that all adds up to an amazing sandwich.
Chicken & Apple Sandwiches with Basil Mayo
A hearty sandwich filled with grilled chicken, sliced apples and cheddar cheese with a basil mayonnaise.
- 2 large chicken breast, sliced in half lengthwise to make 4 thinner breasts
- 2 TBS. olive oil
- 1 tsp. Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- salt & pepper
- 1 Granny Smith apple, sliced thin
- 1/2 cup sliced or shredded cheddar cheese
- Buns or rolls, to make the sandwich
For the Basil Mayo:
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- Season chicken with Italian seasoning, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Heat oil in a large pan or grill pan. Grill chicken until browned on both sides and cooked through, about 4-5 minutes per side. Remove to a plate to cool.
- Make the basil mayo: whisk together mayonnaise, basil, lemon juice and black pepper.
- Make the sandwiches: spread mayo on both sides of a roll or bun. Top with a few slices of apple and one chicken breast. Place cheese on top and serve.