A few weeks ago, I bought a big pack of bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs. I typically grab a pack of the boneless, skinless version, but these were much cheaper.
I divvied up the portions and froze most of them, but left one pack to make this skillet dinner.
There’s nothing quite like chicken thighs. They’re much more juicy and flavorful than chicken breast. If you buy the skin-on version, you also get this wonderful crispy chicken skin if you pan-fry them.
I grabbed my cast iron skillet and went to work on this all-in-one dinner. Crispy chicken thighs are nestled in with potatoes, roasted red peppers and tomatoes. Make sure you grab enough capers to throw into this dinner, too. They really add that extra pizzaz this dish needs.
Keep your seasoning simple for this dish. All you really need is a little salt, pepper and oregano. I didn’t even add garlic or onion which is quite unusual for me. Usually those two things are my go-to ingredients in dinner dishes.
The more simply the seasoning, the more beautiful the flavor that will come through while the chicken and veggies are roasting.
The potatoes are stunning. The end up soft and salty and magnificent. The chicken is the real star in this dish. It’s perfectly juicy and crispy on the outside.
Mediterranean Chicken Skillet
A simple, one-pan dinner made with crispy chicken thighs, potatoes and roasted tomatoes.
- 4 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
- 2 TBS. olive oil, plus more for topping
- salt & pepper
- 2 large potatoes, diced (skin-on)
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 cup roasted bell pepper strips
- 1/4 cup capers
- 2 tsp. dried oregano
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Add chicken thighs, skin side down to hot oil. Let sear for 4-5 minutes or until skin is brown and crispy.
- Flip chicken and then add potatoes, tomatoes, red bell pepper, capers and oregano. Drizzle extra olive oil on top.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Bake for 40-45 minutes or until potatoes are soft and chicken is cooked through.
5 thoughts on “Mediterranean Chicken Skillet”
looks tasty. adding some onion would be good too.
Especially if it was red onion! Red onions taste so good roasted like this.
When tomatoes burst with juiciness, I begin to drool. Must have! 🍃🍅
Absolutely. Roasted tomatoes are perfection!