Pumpkin spice everything is all the rage right now. I know it usually gets a big boost in the fall, but this year it seems like it’s absolutely everywhere.
I’m not complaining. I love pumpkin. I mix it in with my oatmeal, coffee, and pies. It’s delicious.
Pumpkin doesn’t have much flavor in and of itself. It has a hint of something, but it’s not much. The flavor gets bolder when you add “pumpkin pie spice” which is simply cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg.
Heck, some people can taste pumpkin with that spice alone. I like to always include actually pumpkin in pumpkin spice recipes, though, because I think it’s much better with the real thing and not just the “flavor”.
This French Toast bake is the perfect fall recipe. It takes all that good pumpkin spice flavor and makes it even better. The streusel topping is a MUST. It adds something more to this French Toast that makes it taste out of this world.
Hop on the pumpkin spice train and make this for a weekend breakfast. It’s easy to make and you can even make it the day before and just pop it into the oven in the morning.
It feeds a crowd, too, so it’s also a great breakfast to make over the holidays–which as we know, are right around the corner…
Pumpkin French Toast Bake
An easy-to-make breakfast that exudes fall vibes.
- Grease a 13×9″ baking dish and preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Break apart loaf of bread into chunks. Place into the bottom of greased baking dish.
- In a large bowl, whisk together milk, pumpkin puree, eggs, white sugar, vanilla, and 1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice until smooth and well combined.
- Pour pumpkin mixture over bread evenly.
- Make the streusel topping: combine melted butter with chopped pecans, 1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice, brown sugar and flour until crumbly. Spread evenly over the top of the bread.
- Bake, covered with foil, for 40 minutes. Remove foil and bake for another 15-20 minutes. Serve with syrup.