I’m obsessed with that viral “grinder” salad on TikTok.
It’s tangy and sour and all the things I love about a good salad/slaw.
The sandwich itself is also amazing, but I’m most obsessed with the salad part of it.
Using that inspiration, I set out to make a pasta salad version of that viral recipe. I think I nailed it.
There are some key things to remember to make this the best pasta salad you’ve ever had:
- Use HARD salami. You can either buy a log of the stuff or buy thick cut slices. Don’t use the thin cut slices.
- If you want lettuce in your salad, serve that on the side. I took this salad with me for lunch at work this week and I would pack the shredded lettuce and mayonnaise separately, that way it wouldn’t get soggy and lose its crisp.
Everything else in this salad is completely up to you. I added chunks of provolone and mozzarella cheese, but you can add other cheese as you see fit. Switch it up on the meats, too, by adding pepperoni or other Italian cuts. Like cherry peppers better than banana peppers? Add that to the salad instead.
This salad is highly customizable and a great way to experiment with different ingredients.
Hoagie Pasta Salad
A zesty pasta salad with all the best parts of a grinder or hoagie. Make it with salami, ham, provolone, tomatoes, and banana peppers for a kick.
- In a large bowl, combine cooked and cooled macaroni with ham, salami, cheese, onion, banana peppers, green pepper and tomato. Toss until well combined.
- In a small bowl, whisk together oil, vinegar, oregano, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Pour over salad and toss.
- Serve salad with shredded lettuce and mayonnaise mixed into each individual serving as desired.
3 thoughts on “Hoagie Pasta Salad”
Great summer salad for a hot day. Thanks for sharing your recipe.
You’re welcome! I had this for lunch everyday last week and it really was a great summer salad. I hope you try it out!