There’s nothing better than a one-pot dinner. I vehemently despise dishes, so the less the better.
I made this one skillet dinner the other night and instantly fell in love. It’s like a cross between fried rice and Mexican rice with a little bit of chicken thrown in for good measure. I topped my plate with some minced cilantro (I could almost eat a whole bunch of cilantro, I love it so much) and saved the rest to take for lunch.
A lunch that anybody at work would be jealous of!
Let me tell you a little bit about my love affair with taco sauce, too. When I was in high school, I would drink packets of the stuff when we made our gas station runs for burritos at lunch.
You read that right. I would eat gas station burritos for lunch in high school. Blech. So gross to think about that now.
Anyway, taco sauce is my fave. This recipe calls for a whole 8 ounce jar of it, which I gladly accepted.
Mexican Skillet Chicken & Rice
A one-skillet meal that combines chicken, corn, black beans and rice into one excellent dinner.
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 lb. chicken breast tenderloins
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 TBS. olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 cups cooked Jasmine rice
- 1 can (15oz) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (11oz) Mexicorn, drained
- 1/4 cup roasted red pepper, chopped
- 1 jar (8oz) taco sauce
- 1/4 cup minced cilantro
- Spray a large skillet with cooking spray. Heat over medium-high heat and and the egg. Cook, stirring, until scrambled and set. Take egg out of pan and set aside.
- Using the same skillet, add olive oil and heat over medium-high heat. Stir-fry chicken, onion an garllic until chicken is no longer pink and onion is translucent, about 5-6 minutes.
- Stir in the cooked rice, beans, mexicorn, peppers and taco sauce and heat through. Stir in the reserved egg. Sprinkle rice with cilantro.
Scramble egg in a large skillet. Set aside. Using the same skillet, heat olive oil over medium high heat. Add the chicken, onion and garlic and stir-fry until chicken is no longer pink and onion is translucent, about 5-6 minutes.
Add corn, beans, and red pepper. Stir well.
Stir in rice, taco sauce and reserved egg. Stir and heat through.
Sprinkle your delicious cilantro on the top of each serving.
11 thoughts on “Mexican Skillet Chicken & Rice”
Yum this looks so easy and tasty. thanks for sharing. I will also be pinning this to Pinterest. Aint no thing but a chicken wing.
Awesome! Go right ahead! I need to get back on Pinterest…it just has a stranglehold on me. I’ll find myself on it for hours on end 😳
I know what you mean it’s addicting.
Very nice! Will be having this later on in the week me thinks 🙂
Thank you! 🙂
I can taste it already….
Love this! Thanks for sharing 🙂
Thanks for stopping by!