There’s nothing better than a one-pot dinner. I vehemently despise dishes, so the less the better.
I made this one skillet dinner the other night and instantly fell in love. It’s like a cross between fried rice and Mexican rice with a little bit of chicken thrown in for good measure. I topped my plate with some minced cilantro (I could almost eat a whole bunch of cilantro, I love it so much) and saved the rest to take for lunch.
A lunch that anybody at work would be jealous of!
Let me tell you a little bit about my love affair with taco sauce, too. When I was in high school, I would drink packets of the stuff when we made our gas station runs for burritos at lunch.
You read that right. I would eat gas station burritos for lunch in high school. Blech. So gross to think about that now.
Anyway, taco sauce is my fave. This recipe calls for a whole 8 ounce jar of it, which I gladly accepted.
Mexican Skillet Chicken & Rice
A one-skillet meal that combines chicken, corn, black beans and rice into one excellent dinner.
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 lb. chicken breast tenderloins
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 TBS. olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 cups cooked Jasmine rice
- 1 can (15oz) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (11oz) Mexicorn, drained
- 1/4 cup roasted red pepper, chopped
- 1 jar (8oz) taco sauce
- 1/4 cup minced cilantro
- Spray a large skillet with cooking spray. Heat over medium-high heat and and the egg. Cook, stirring, until scrambled and set. Take egg out of pan and set aside.
- Using the same skillet, add olive oil and heat over medium-high heat. Stir-fry chicken, onion an garllic until chicken is no longer pink and onion is translucent, about 5-6 minutes.
- Stir in the cooked rice, beans, mexicorn, peppers and taco sauce and heat through. Stir in the reserved egg. Sprinkle rice with cilantro.
Scramble egg in a large skillet. Set aside. Using the same skillet, heat olive oil over medium high heat. Add the chicken, onion and garlic and stir-fry until chicken is no longer pink and onion is translucent, about 5-6 minutes.
Add corn, beans, and red pepper. Stir well.
Stir in rice, taco sauce and reserved egg. Stir and heat through.
Sprinkle your delicious cilantro on the top of each serving.