During the busy season, sometimes all you want is for dinner to be ready as soon as you get home. Since I’m basically the only one who cooks in this house, that task is pretty much impossible.
November is one of four months of the year that TV people hate—-ratings. You can’t take off work during the month, there’s a ton of special projects going on, and you’ve really got to be on the ball when it comes to breaking news.
I enjoy those stress-inducing months. They’re fun and there’s always something going on. But, like I said, it gets really busy…and you still have to have a life outside of work on top of all the craziness that is TV news.
Because of that, a lot of recipes I’ve been cooking lately are incredibly simple. They don’t take up too much of what little time I have to spare. Enter: sheet pan meals.
Sheet pan meals are all the rage right now. Of course they are! Who couldn’t love a meal all on one pan, thrown into the oven and forgotten about? It’s the epitome of simplicity. Anyone can make them and everyone can enjoy them.
I’ve been meddling around with different sheet pan meals. My favorite were these bratwurst & pepper sandwiches.
Playing off of that riff, I decided to try another sausage and pepper sheet pan meal. I believe I found this recipe in a Taste of Home magazine. I’ve made it twice already, it’s that good. It has everything: sweet red peppers, savory smoked sausage, tangy banana peppers, and hearty potatoes.
When we were in New Orleans, I picked up a new Cajun spice mix from the NOLA School of Cooking. I used it on this meal and it was like magic. Angels came down from the heavens and blessed this meal with a kiss of Cajun twang.
If you’re in a pinch for dinner, make this meal. You can adjust everything to your liking! Sheet pan meals are super forgiving like that.
Sheet Pan Sausage, Peppers, and Potatoes
A 30-minute meal made all on one pan.
- 5-6 Russet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 (12 oz) package smoked sausage, sliced
- 1 red onion, cut into wedges
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 cup pickled banana pepper rings, drained of juice
- 1-2 TBS. olive oil
- 1-2 tsp. Cajun seasoning
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- In a large bowl, toss veggies and sausage with olive oil. Sprinkle in Cajun seasoning, salt and pepper. Toss so everything is well coated. How much olive oil/seasoning you need depends on how much potatoes there are..so adjust accordingly. You can never over season something!
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place sausage and veggie mixture on a large baking sheet. Roast for 30-35 minutes or until potatoes are tender and crispy.
This will be brief since this meal is so easy! In a large bowl, toss veggies and sausage with olive oil. Sprinkle in Cajun seasoning, pepper and salt. Toss so everything is well coated.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spread veggies and sausage on a large baking sheet, in an even layer. Roast for 30-35 minutes or until potatoes are tender yet crispy.
Yum! Super easy dinner is served in less than 40 minutes, with an easy peasy prep time.