Every Christmas for the past decade or so, my family has made the same breakfast casserole for us to eat when we get done opening presents on Christmas morning. I’ve carried on the tradition since moving out, but I’m not sure Rob loves the breakfast casserole nearly as much as I do.
This year will be different. I don’t even know if I’m going to make a breakfast casserole since Rob and I are celebrating early (the 17th) and I’ll be busy making our Christmas dinner. I’m traveling up to Montana for the week of Christmas to visit my family, and my mom just texted me asking about a different casserole recipe! So our beloved tradition will probably take a break this year.
I’m still struggling to figure out if I do truly want to make a breakfast casserole or not. I’ll probably just pop some cinnamon or orange rolls in the oven and call it good. Can’t have enough sweets right now, am I right?
In the meantime, I’m still developing different breakfast recipes here and there when I can. I spotted this one in a little recipe booklet and thought it looked nice—and sort of healthy. My diet has taken a backseat so I can indulge in all the holiday goodies. When I can eat better, I do, but I’m not going to pass up a stray homemade cookie here and there.
I honestly thought this frittata would taste better without the chicken. It was good with it, but the cream cheese chunks & sun-dried tomatoes were the best part. It’s good to have some extra lean protein in there—but not needed.
And if you have any good breakfast casserole recipes, let me know! I’m all about researching them right now and will probably change my mind and make one for my pre-Christmas day celebration with my husband. I’m eyeballing a biscuit and gravy one I’ve made before and that may be what I settle on, but I’ll take all the recipes I can get.
Chicken & Sun-Dried Tomato Frittata
A cast-iron skillet cooked frittata with chicken, sun-dried tomatoes, and cream cheese.
- 10 eggs
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 TBS. dried basil
- salt & pepper
- 1 (8 oz.) package of cream cheese, softened and cut into cubes
- 1 1/4 cups shredded, cooked chicken
- 1/2 cup oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, drained
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs with the cream, basil, salt and pepper. Stir in cream cheese, chicken, sun-dried tomatoes and Parmesan.
- Heat a large cast-iron skillet over medium heat. Use cooking spray, butter or oil to grease the pan. Pour in egg mixture and cook, untouched, for 8-10 minutes.
- Transfer to oven to finish cooking. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until eggs are completely set. Cut into wedges to serve.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs with the cream, basil, salt and pepper.
Stir in cream cheese, chicken, sun-dried tomatoes and Parmesan.
Heat a large cast-iron skillet over medium heat.
Use cooking spray, butter or oil to grease the pan. Pour in egg mixture and cook, untouched, for 8-10 minutes.
Transfer to oven to finish cooking. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until eggs are completely set. Cut into wedges to serve.