My cookbook collection continues to grow. I’m almost out of room on my four shelf bookshelf, and the two tubs underneath it are packed to the brim.
Every time I go some place new, I scour the are for cookbooks. I’ve got specific cookbooks from restaurants in Albuquerque. I’ve got a tiny, spiral-bound cookbook from a restaurant in Britton, OK that closed in the 70’s. There’s a miniature white binder filled with recipes from the state Senate in the 80’s.
Even my coworkers are in on my obsession. I was gifted a cookbook from a friend at work a couple of weeks ago and immediately got to work. The book, “The New Southwest”, had a lot of intriguing recipes tucked inside. I love Southwestern flavors: red & green chile, American-Mexican fusion, and tons of spice and onions.
This recipe hails from that prized cookbook. I, of course, made it more of my own by making keto tortillas for frying and adding some extra flair. The keto tortilla recipe isn’t mine, but it’s a pretty good one: click here if you want to try it out.
If not, then use regular tortillas. Migas need pieces of crispy fried tortillas to make it really pop. You get all the textures in this breakfast: soft, crispy, chewy. Migas are one of my favorite Southwestern breakfast dishes. Top this one off with manchego cheese (it’s my new favorite cheese!) or go above and beyond and top it with queso. Both work very well on top of migas!
Mushroom & Leek Migas
Savory migas with leek and mushrooms topped with melted cheese.
- 1 leek, sliced
- 2 cups sliced baby portobello mushrooms
- 10 large eggs
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup fresh chives, minced
- 1 TBS. butter
- 1 cup manchego cheese, shredded
- 2 cups tortilla strips, fried (can also use tortilla chips)
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, cream, chives, salt and pepper. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add leek and mushroom and saute until tender and mushrooms are browned, about 3-4 minutes.
- Pour in egg mixture, stirring constantly in a circular motion until eggs begin to set. Stir in fried tortilla strips and continue cooking, stirring frequently, until eggs are light, fluffy and cooked through.
- Top with shredded cheese and serve.
In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, cream, chives, salt and pepper.
Meanwhile, in a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat.
Add leek and mushroom and saute until tender and mushrooms are browned, about 3-4 minutes. Pour in egg mixture, stirring constantly in a circular motion until eggs begin to set. Stir in fried tortilla strips and continue cooking, stirring frequently, until eggs are light, fluffy and cooked through.
Top with shredded cheese and serve.
6 thoughts on “Mushroom & Leek Migas”
Cookbooks are my obsession too! You can never have too many for inspiration! 💕
Never!! I love the history behind them too!
I have a large collection of cookbooks also. I was just thinking today that maybe I should feature some of them that are my favorite ones. Thanks for sharing your recipe.
You should! I’m intrigued. I love cookbook recipes!
Yes, please. 😋🍃