It’s beginning to look a lot like fall…
I’ve got two trees that are already starting to change colors on their leaves. We’re expecting a cold front today and we’ll have super cool, fall-like weather this entire week. I’m armed with my Bath & Body Works fall candles and pumpkin-spice coffee.
I’m ready for this!
I’ve got a few “fall” like recipes up my sleeve, but for now I’m still stuck on the late summer mindset for recipes. The tomatoes in my garden are ripening up and the corn in the produce aisle looks extra crispy and delicious right now.
This recipe isn’t really a fall or summer type recipe, but it’s a good one for the summer months when you want to whip something together really quick so you don’t have to stand over a hot stove.
You can jazz up this recipe to make it your own. I put whatever frozen vegetables I could find in my freezer into it—and it was a lot of frozen vegetables! I bet it would be good with more carrots (I only had one left), red bell pepper, and mushrooms. Next time…
Customize it however you like, but make sure you season everything up real good. I made my own teriyaki sauce, then seasoned the turkey with coriander and turmeric (along with salt and pepper). Frozen vegetables are inherently bland, so after you microwave them and throw them into the wok, season them again with salt and pepper.
Teriyaki Turkey Stir-Fry
A quick stir-fry with ground turkey, rice, sugar snap peas, broccoli and edamame.
- 1 lb. ground turkey
- 1 cup brown rice
- 2 cups water
- 1 TBS. butter
- salt & pepper
- 1 (12 oz) package frozen broccoli florets or cuts, thawed
- 1 (10 oz) package frozen edamame, thawed
- 2 cups fresh sugar snap peas
- 2 cloves garlic
- 4 green onions, sliced and green parts reserved
- 1 carrot, sliced
- 2 TBS. olive oil
- 1 tsp. coriander
- 1 tsp. turmeric
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 2 TBS. rice wine vinegar
- 1 TBS. brown sugar
- 1 tsp. fish sauce
- 2 tsp. Sriracha, plus more for serving
- 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
- Scallion tops, sesame seeds and Sriracha, for serving
- Heat oil in a large skillet or wok. Add garlic, green onion and carrot. Saute until fragrant, about 1-2 minutes.
- Cook your rice: add rice, water, butter and salt to a small saucepan. Boil, then reduce heat and simmer, covered, for about 20-30 minutes or until brown rice is done.
- Add turkey and stir in coriander, turmeric, salt and pepper. Cook until almost browned, about 3-4 minutes. Stir in edamame, broccoli and sugar snap peas plus more salt and pepper. Stir-fry for another 2-3 minutes.
- In a small bowl whisk together soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, brown sugar, fish sauce, Sriracha, and ginger. Thicken with xanthan gum or cornstarch slurry if desired. Pour into turkey-vegetable mix.
- Stir in cooked rice and toss. Serve topped with green onion tops, sesame seeds and Sriracha.