I’m writing this through itchy, watery eyes right now. My fall allergies are out of control. The ragweed and grass pollen in the air in Oklahoma is extremely high, irritating my eyes and nostrils.
It probably doesn’t help that we’ve had the windows open for days. I refuse to turn the A/C back on at this point, so we’ve got to live with the nice but pollen-laden breeze that’s coming in our home from the outside.
It’s definitely soup-and-grilled-cheese weather in this house. My allergies mimic a common cold and make me feel miserable, so the best thing for that is soup and grilled cheese.
Grilled cheese is the ultimate comfort food for me. I’m all for the classic white-bread-and-Kraft-singles sandwich. Nothing melts quite like Kraft American cheese, in my opinion.
Sometimes I do get fancy with it. I like melting Gruyere and apples or pears on thick slices of bread. Cheddar with tomato is another good grilled cheese combo. But this recipe…might be my favorite “fancy” grilled cheese sandwich out of the bunch.
It’s slices of mozzarella, crumbles of goat cheese and a few sprinkles of shredded parmesan nestled between two slices of sourdough that are slathered with pesto. Woo. That’s a mouthful. A mouthful of deliciousness, that is.
If you’re in the mood for a fancy grilled cheese sandwich, then this is the one for you. It’s the ultimate king of grilled cheeses. It’s ooey, gooey and extra cheesy.
Pesto Grilled Cheese
A fancy grilled cheese sandwich with fresh mozzarella, parmesan, goat cheese and pesto.
- 4-5 slices of fresh mozzarella
- 1/4 cup goat cheese, crumbled
- 2 slices of sourdough bread
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan
- 3 TBS. prepared pesto
- 2 TBS. butter, softened
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- Heat a pan over medium heat. Spread pesto and two slices of sourdough. Top with fresh mozzarella in a single layer on one piece of pesto-bread. Add goat cheese to both slices of bread. Sprinkle parmesan on top of mozzarella. Put both slices together to form a sandwich.
- Spread butter on top of bread and sprinkle some garlic powder on top. Carefully place in pan and press down with a spatula. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until one side is browned. Spread butter on top and flip.
- Cook other side of sandwich for 2-3 minutes until browned and cheese is melted. Remove from heat and cut in half.
One thought on “Pesto Grilled Cheese”
Pesto is yummy. 🍂