You ever see a recipe in a video and think, “I can make that, and I can make it better?”
Welcome to my world. I scroll aimlessly through TikTok sometimes and see all of these good recipes and think that I can make them better.
Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn’t. This is one of those times that it worked out.
I saw this protein-packed wonton soup on my For You page the other day and decided I had to give it a try. It seemed so simple and something that I could add ingredients to make it better. One thing the video didn’t have was mass amounts of mushrooms inside the soup.
If you add both shiitake and cremini mushrooms to this soup, plus some sliced green onions and cilantro, it really hits it out of the park. It’s a super filling, high-protein dinner that is perfect to eat on busy weeknights.
I’ve now got a big tupperware container full of this soup that I can eat the rest of the week and I couldn’t be more excited.
P.S.: If you have a Costco in your town, buy the frozen mini chicken and cilantro wontons. They are SO GOOD. If you don’t have a Costco, just try to find any chicken or veggie stuffed frozen wontons…or make your own.
Chicken & Wonton Soup
A filling soup with chicken, mushrooms, bone broth and wontons.
- 1 lb. chicken breast, cooked and shredded or cubed
- 4 green onions, sliced and green parts reserved for topping
- 16 oz. cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 8 oz. shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 1 TBS. sesame oil
- 1 TBS. olive oil
- 16 oz. chicken bone broth
- 6-8 cups chicken stock
- 4 cups frozen chicken wontons
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro
- Heat sesame and olive oil in a large pot. Stir in green onions, cremini and shiitake mushrooms. Saute until mushrooms are browned, about 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in chicken bone broth and chicken stock. Let mixture come to a boil and then reduce heat to a simmer. Stir in wontons and cooked chicken.
- Let soup simmer for 4-5 minutes or until wontons are cooked through. Stir in fresh cilantro before serving. Top with reserved sliced green onions.