I’ve been on a health & wellness journey the last two weeks trying to lose weight and eat healthier.
You may be thinking, how can eating cheesy quesadillas possibly be “eating healthier”??
It can be, I swear! If you rethink your choices and options for ingredients, you’d be surprised at what you can do.
I’m currently taste-testing every low-carb, no-carb or whole wheat tortilla I can find. So far, I think I like the Ole brand best. Over the weekend I also tried La Banderita’s low-carb tortilla, which was pretty good. I’m hitting up Trader Joe’s tomorrow to see what I can find.
I live off of tortillas. One of my favorite snacks when I was a kid was a cheese tortilla: Kraft singles inside a tortilla and microwaved. Sounds gross, but I LIVED for that snack. Eating healthier now doesn’t mean I have to give up the tortilla craving, but I can at least swap it out with a lower carb version.
These quesadillas were jam-packed full of flavor and healthy goodness, too. I sliced up some zucchini, poblano peppers, and tossed in some corn for good measure.
This isn’t your typical chicken quesadilla. It’s got a lot more going on for it than you might think. It’s a great lunch or snack or even dinner if you want to pair it with a side salad or some chips and salsa.
Verde Chicken Quesadillas
A zesty chicken and cheese quesadilla packed full of veggies like zucchini, poblano peppers, and corn.
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 1 poblano pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 TBS. olive oil
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1 cup shredded cooked chicken breast
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1/4 cup green enchilada sauce
- 1 cup shredded Mexican-style cheese
- 6-8 tortillas
- Heat oil in a large skillet. Add onion and poblano and saute until onion is translucent, about 4-5 minutes. Stir in corn, zucchini, cumin, chili powder, salt and pepper. Cook for another 2-3 minutes until zucchini is slightly tender.
- Stir in cooked chicken and enchilada sauce. Bring mixture to a simmer and then remove from heat.
- Spray a large pan with cooking spray. Build your quesadillas: Take one tortilla and sprinkle about 2 tablespoons of shredded cheese on one half of the tortilla. Top with a spoonful of the chicken-and-veggie mixture. Sprinkle another tablespoon of cheese on top and then fold tortilla over, making a half-circle shape.
- Grill tortilla in pan on medium-high heat until browned on both sides and cheese is melted. Let cool for a few minutes before slicing. Serve with verde salsa and sour cream.