I’m finally, finally getting to the end of a bunch of recipes I made a few weekends ago.
I try to post as many times a week as I can, but this week has been hectic. Between getting people out to our house to cut down limbs from October’s ice storm, to accidentally sleeping in late–I’ve been busy as a bee.
This is the last dinner I made a few weekends ago to much success. It was my first time cooking tofu (though not the first time eating it) and I loved it, though I did wish the tofu I bought was a bit firmer. It broke up quite a bit in the cooking process! That was a little disheartening.
You probably know by now that I like to incorporate meatless meals into my diet. I know in my heart I could never become a full vegan or vegetarian, but I think it’s good to rotate in meatless meals to lessen the dependency on meat. It’s my little way of helping out.
This stir-fry really hit the spot. It’s got all of my favorite things in it: mushrooms, peppers, and rice noodles. I served this with some sweet chili sauce and it truly elevated this meal.
You can easily throw in chicken or shrimp if you don’t want this to be a meatless meal, but I do urge you to at least try the meatless version. You never know what you might like!
Veggie Noodle Stir-Fry
A simple stir-fry with mushrooms, rice noodles, cabbage and tofu.
- 1 block of firm tofu, cubed
- 1 lb. mixed mushrooms (I used bunapi and oyster)
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 lb. rice noodles
- 2 TBS. olive oil
- 1 TBS. sesame oil
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp. white pepper
- 2 TBS. rice wine
- 1/4 cup hoisin
- Sesame seeds, scallions, sweet chili sauce for serving
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet. Stir in red bell pepper and saute until slightly tender. Add mushrooms and cook until browned. Stir in tofu cabbage, sesame oil, garlic powder, soy sauce, red pepper flakes, white pepper, rice wine and hoisin. Cook for another 3-4 minutes.
- Cook rice noodles according to package instructions. Drain.
- Add rice noodles to stir-fry and toss until everything is well combined. Serve with sesame seeds, scallions and sweet chili sauce.