Quick! Tell me your go-to Chinese takeout order!
If you’re thrown on the spot, I bet a lot of you say chicken fried rice.
My favorite takeout order? Lo mein and hot and sour soup. But my husband will order chicken fried rice almost every single time.
It’s a classic and it hits the spot like nothing else can. If you’re ready to binge 4 hours of Netflix and you’re in desperate need of a mental health day, chicken fried rice is the key to helping fill the void.
I’ve made it a handful of times myself, but nothing is as good as the restaurant versions, except maybe this version. It’s everything good about chicken fried rice but with quinoa.
I know, weird curveball there. But listen up! This is a really tasty substitute for chicken fried rice. It’s a nice change of pace and my husband absolutely loved it.
So, it’s a win in my book.
Chicken Fried Quinoa
Chicken fried rice, but with quinoa instead.
- 1 lb. chicken breast, cubed
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. turmeric
- 1/2 tsp. coriander
- 1/2 tsp. white pepper
- 1 TBS. olive oil
- 1 TBS. sesame oil, plus more for topping
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups cooked quinoa, cooked according to package instructions
- 1/4 cup soy sauce, plus more for serving
- Heat sesame oil and olive oil over medium-high heat in a large skillet or wok. Season chicken with garlic powder, turmeric, coriander and white pepper. Add to pan and cook until golden and cooked through, about 5-6 minutes.
- Push chicken to one side of the pan and pour in eggs. Scramble in pan.
- Pour cooked quinoa into pan and stir and cook for 1-2 minutes. Stir in soy sauce and extra sesame oil to taste. Continue cooking for another 3-4 minutes.
- Serve chicken fried quinoa with extra soy sauce.
2 thoughts on “Chicken Fried Quinoa”
this sounds tasty. I will say that title threw me for a loop.. I was thinking chicken fried steak but done with quinoa not fried rice with chicken done with quinoa.
Hah! I see it now!