I think I’ve finally gotten the hang of grilling things. After years of messing things up with a charcoal grill, we finally bought a propane grill and it is MUCH easier for me to use.
I tried it out this weekend and cooked up some kabobs and pork tenderloin. To my surprise, both came out perfect! I’ve never had this much success on the grill. I think I’ll keep using it this summer…
The first thing I grilled up were these kabobs–er, skewers. Whatever you want to call them. I marinated some chicken thighs in a sweet soy sauce marinade and then skewered them with some fresh mango, red bell pepper, and red onion.
Phenomenal. Incredible. Fantastic. All words that describe these skewers.
I was blown away with how delicious this was. Sure, you can go wrong with marinated chicken thighs. That cut of meat is always so juicy and flavorful. Everything else in this recipe worked together so well it was shocking.
Pro-tip: use pretty tough, less ripe mango. It’s easier to skewer and won’t fall off your stick. It’ll soften up a bit under the heat, too.
Chicken & Mango Skewers
Sweet and savory skewers with marinated chicken, mango, pepper & onion.
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1″ chunks
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 2 TBS. fish sauce
- 1 tsp. ground ginger
- 1 TBS. Sriracha
- 1 tsp. curry powder
- Juice from 1 lime
- 1/4 cup chopped, fresh cilantro
- 1 TBS. brown sugar
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into chunks
- 2 cups fresh mango, cut into chunks
- 1 red onion, cut into chunks
- Sweet chili sauce, for basting
- Place chicken in a large bag or resealable bowl. In a small bowl, whisk together soy sauce, fish sauce, ginger, Sriracha, curry powder, lime juice, cilantro, and brown sugar. Pour over chicken and toss well to coat. Seal chicken container/bag and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or overnight.
- When chicken is done marinating, make the skewers: if using bamboo or wood skewers, soak them in water first before adding the meat and veggies. Place a chunk of onion on the skewer first, then build with chicken, pepper and mango ending with another chunk of onion (this will make the other ingredients not fall off).
- Heat a grill on medium high heat. Grill skewers for 5-7 minutes per side, brushing sweet chili sauce on each side while grilling. I used a grill mat since there is so much sugar in this, I didn’t want it to stick to the grill.
- Serve with sweet chili sauce on the side.
3 thoughts on “Chicken & Mango Skewers”
Mangoes are really great right now. 🍃🥭
They are! A wonderful summer fruit