You ever run across a recipe in an old cookbook and think, “there’s no way that could work”?
This happens to me A LOT. I’ve found Velveeta made into fudge (no way that could work!) and ‘impossible’ cakes made without eggs (how could that work??). But sometimes, just sometimes, it actually DOES work.
This recipe is one of those examples. I’ve made smothered pork chops dozens of times, but never with this secret ingredient: cheddar cheese soup.
No way could that work…could it?
It can, and it did. Not only that, the smothered pork chops don’t taste “cheesy” at all.
Instead, the cheddar cheese soup adds creaminess and thickness to the gravy you smother the pork chops with. It also makes the gravy taste incredibly savory—and adds an extra dimension of flavor without passing on the cheesy taste to the pork chops.
I will never make smothered pork chops without a can of cheddar cheese soup again. I’m now a believer in this odd secret ingredient!
Try it out for yourself and make yourself a believer, too.
Secret Ingredient Smothered Pork Chops
Hearty oven-baked smothered pork chops with a secret ingredient to make the gravy creamy and thick.
- Heat oil in a large cast iron skillet over medium high heat. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk together flour and Cajun seasoning.
- Dredge pork chops in flour mixture and add to skillet with oil. Fry on both sides until golden brown, about 1-2 minutes per side. Remove chops to a plate.
- Remove any excess oil, leaving only about 1 tablespoon in the skillet. Add onion and mushrooms ans saute until onion is tender and mushrooms are browned, about 5-6 minutes.
- Stir in garlic and Worcestershire sauce and cook for another 1-2 minutes. Stir in beef broth, cheese soup and 1 canful of water (or more if you think gravy is too thick). Stir and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Remove all but about 1/4 of the onion-mushroom sauce to a bowl. Add a layer of pork chops back to the skillet, then spoon half the sauce from the bowl on top of the chops. Add another layer of chops and top with the rest of the gravy.
- Preheat oven to 275 degrees. Bake chops for 1 hour to 1 hour and 15 minutes, uncovered, until internal temperature reaches 145 degrees. Serve chops over rice.
2 thoughts on “Secret Ingredient Smothered Pork Chops”
That looks very good, and I bet it tastes good.
That truly was an unexpected secret ingredient. 🤔