baking · entree · turkey

Caprese Turkey & Biscuits

It’s Monday, you guys.

I know some of you are in a daze, not knowing what day it is. It’s hard to keep track when you never leave the house. I am currently working-from-home so I kind of have to keep track of what days I need to go to work.

I’ve been enjoying the WFH and self-isolation life. I have set up a dedicated work space and only get over there when I have to work. I set up a pretty nice routine to get my day started on the weekdays. I stick to that routine to keep things in line.

I have, however, started having panic attacks in the middle of the night. Not sure what that’s about, but it must be the huge world-and-life-changing event that’s going on right now. I’m a person who hates change, and although this change is 90% enjoyable for me, my body is rejecting the other 10%. It’s not fun.

I’m trying to keep my weekends normal and routine-like, too. I still cook for the week on Sundays and fart around with Rob on Saturdays.

I think once we get through a few weeks of this, maybe I’ll start to settle down. All of this pent-up stress and anxiety will melt away, I hope.

One thing that’s good for the soul: cooking. And there’s nothing better than cooking a hearty dinner or lunch. I used a roll of (admittedly tiny and hockey-puck-like) biscuits to make this unusual casserole. I’m trying to improvise with what I’ve got in the kitchen, and what I’ve got is a lot of fresh basil growing in my aerogarden and a ton of lunch meat.

Top this biscuit bake with your favorite balsamic vinegar. I bought a small cannister of dark cherry balsamic vinegar in Bozeman, Montana last year and save it for special occassions.

I guess the end of the world is a special occasion, so I used it for this!

Enjoy!

Caprese Turkey & Biscuits

  • Servings: 4-6
  • Difficulty: Easy
  • Print

Biscuits topped with turkey, cheese, basil, and cherry tomatoes.

Ingredients

  • 1 can buttermilk biscuits (should make 10)
  • 1/2 lb. deli turkey meat, torn into pieces
  • 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella
  • 1/4 cup shredded parmesan
  • pepper
  • 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, cut in half
  • 1/4 cup fresh basil. torn
  • Balsamic vinegar, for topping

Directions

  1. Cut ‘x’ slits into each biscuit. Place on the bottom of a greased baking dish. Bake, according to package insructions, but baking 3 minutes less than normal baking time, so that biscuits are partially cooked and easy to split.
  2. Split open biscuits and place turkey on top and inside of biscuits. Top with mozzarella and parmesan and pepper. Bake for an additonal 3-5 minutes or until cheese is melted.
  3. Remove from oven and top with tomatoes and fresh basil. Drizzle balsamic vinegar on top before serving.

Step-By-Step Instructions

Cut ‘x’ slits into each biscuit. Place on the bottom of a greased baking dish. Bake, according to package insructions, but baking 3 minutes less than normal baking time, so that biscuits are partially cooked and easy to split.

Split open biscuits and place turkey on top and inside of biscuits.

Top with mozzarella and parmesan and pepper. Bake for an additonal 3-5 minutes or until cheese is melted.

Remove from oven and top with tomatoes and fresh basil. Drizzle balsamic vinegar on top before serving.

2 thoughts on “Caprese Turkey & Biscuits

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s