Sometimes you really just want something nourishing to eat for dinner.
Not just nourishing for the body, but for the soul.
That’s how I felt last weekend when I went to meal prep for the week. I needed something delicious, filling, and healthy.
Something like what I had gotten at the opening of Flower Child in OKC a few weeks before.
Flower Child is a chain of restaurants mainly found in Arizona and Dallas, and they finally opened up shop in OKC in August. When I had to run to the station one night to work, I ordered takeout from the store and got a Mother Earth bowl. It was incredible! I decided right then and there to recreate it at home.
The Mother Earth bowl is pretty sophisticated with many steps, but I think I brought it back down to Earth (no pun intended) by making it at home. I didn’t have the ingredients to make the red pepper sauce, so I just stuck with the vegan broccoli pesto and seasonings to spice it up.
This bowl powered me through the entire week. I was shocked at how close it was to the original! It’s not the easiest recipe to make, and it takes a lot of dishes, but it’s a good one to meal prep and have throughout the week.
I simplified this recipe even more by using pre-cooked, pre-packaged bags of quinoa & brown rice. Seeds of Change makes a delicious garlic version that I love to meal prep with and I highly recommend it. Other than that, everything is made from scratch!
You can eat this bowl with or without protein. I was going to cook up some chicken breasts for it, but I had a package of chicken-apple sausage in the fridge I needed to use. This bowl is also good just by itself, or with poached eggs.
Mother Earth Bowl
A healthy, nourishing copycat version of Flower Child's Mother Earth bowl.
- 2-3 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cooked (I boiled mine)
- 2 large portobello mushroom caps, sliced into strips and grilled until well cooked
- 2 packages pre-cooked quinoa and brown rice mix
- Cooked chicken or chicken sausage, sliced
- 1-2 avocados, sliced
- 2 TBS. hemp seeds
For the cucumber relish:
- 1-2 large cucumbers, diced
- 2 TBS. rice wine vinegar
- 2 tsp. oil
- 1 tsp. sesame seeds
- 1 TBS. fresh mint, chopped
- Salt, to taste
For the broccoli pesto:
- 1 head broccoli, cut into florets
- 2 cups fresh kale, chopped
- 1/4 cup pistachios, shelled
- 1 cup spinach
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 TBS. fresh mint, chopped
- Juice of 1 lemon
- salt & pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 TBS. water, as needed
- Make the cucumber relish: in a small bowl, stir together cucumbers, vinegar, oil, sesame seeds, fresh mint and salt. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Make the broccoli pesto: place broccoli, kale, pistachios, spinach and garlic in a food processor. Pulse until well combined. Add in mint, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Pulse again. Slowly drizzle in olive oil and water until pesto reaches a thick but spreadable consistency.
- Make the bowl: start with a bed of quinoa-rice, add chicken, sliced avocados, cooked mushrooms, and half a sweet potato. Add cucumber relish and pesto on top. Sprinkle hemp seeds over everything and serve.