I’ve been having a ball on TikTok lately making recipe videos. If you have TikTok, and want a more visual representation of my recipes, follow me at “modfarmgirl”.
It’s reinvigorated my creativity in the kitchen. Don’t get me wrong, I’ve always had a creative streak when it comes to cooking, but now I’m finding all these angles and editing moves to make my cooking videos look good.
The best part about the app is that it’s short and sweet—and literally anyone can make the videos. No professional equipment, no problem. It’s the media in its simplest and purest form. I love it.
I still love blogging, though. Writing was always my number one passion in life. I wrote short stories and attempted novels when I was a kid. Growing up, I’ve translated that into a career with television writing and blogging about food. I’ve had this blog for 7 years (!!!) now and it’s still going strong because I love what I do.
Anyway, let’s talk food. I made this incredible pasta dish last week and ended up craving it in my sleep. It’s unlike anything you’ve ever had before, I can promise you that. The ragout is simple yet packed with all these amazing flavors. The combination of chicken and bacon and black pepper is out of this world.
If you’re looking for a hearty, unusual and fine-tasting pasta recipe, than this one is for you.
[recipe-title=”Spaghetti with Chicken and Bacon Ragout” servings=”6-8″ time=”35 mins” difficulty=”Easy” image=”https://therecipeboxchallenge.files.wordpress.com/2020/10/img_17548380999677084371240.jpg” description=”A smoky, hearty pasta dish with chicken, bacon and tomatoes.”]
- 1 lb. chicken breast
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- salt & pepper
- 2 TBS. olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 8 strips bacon, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (28 oz) can whole peeled tomatoes
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- salt, to taste
- 16 oz. spaghetti
- In a large cast-iron skillet, cook bacon until crispy. Remove bacon to a paper-towel lined plate.
- Season chicken with garlic powder, basil, salt and pepper. Add to bacon drippings and cook until browned and cooked through, about 4-5 minutes per side. Remove to a plate to let cool. Chop when cooled.
- Add onion and garlic to bacon drippings and saute until tender, about 2-3 minutes. Pour in tomatoes and crush with hands or back of spoon. Stir in black pepper, red pepper, oregano and salt. Bring to boil and then reduce heat to a simmer and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Cook spaghetti according to packages instructions. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup pasta water.
- Stir bacon and chicken into tomato mixture. Stir in pasta water and spaghetti and toss to coat. Serve topped with Parmesan, if desired.