I’m souped out for the forseeable future.
I’ve probably made more soups this winter than ever before. It’s been a rough one. We’ve had the lowest temperatures Oklahoma has ever had before, tons of snow, and an insane ice storm to kick off the season. I’m ready for warmer temps, blooming flowers, and cold beers by the fire pit.
This might be one of the last soup recipes of the season (I think I have one more up my sleeve) so I had to make it great. If you’ve never made your own homemade tomato soup before, now is your chance. You need to try it, and you will probably never go back to the canned tomato soup ever again.
You can top this tomato soup with whatever you like, but I enjoye topping it with roasted cauliflower, ground turkey and fresh basil. This really transformed the soup into a meal. It warmed me up when it was -4 degrees outside.
You need to choose some good quality canned tomatoes for your soup. I personally like the Cento brand whole peeled tomatoes, or the Muir Glen brand. Both of those brands give you a really rich, sweet, and tangy tomato.
I ended up throwing a can of stewed tomatoes in this soup too since I only had one can of whole peeled tomatoes. As long as you have a good quality tomato as a base, feel free to add any other can of diced tomatoes you like.
Fully Loaded Tomato Soup
Homemade tomato soup that tastes better than its canned counterpart.
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1 TBS. olive oil
- 1 yellow pepper, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (32 oz) can whole peeled tomatoes
- 1 (14.5 oz) can stewed tomatoes
- 2 TBS. tomato paste
- 1 (14.5 oz) can coconut milk
- salt & pepper
- 1 tsp. Italian seasoning
- Toppings: fresh basil, roasted cauliflower, cooked ground turkey
- Heat oil in a large pot. Add onion and bell pepper and saute until tender, abouot 4-5 minutes. Stir in garlic and Italian seasoning. Cook for another minute or until fragrant.
- Add tomato paste to pot and stir while cooking for another minute. Stir in both cans of tomatoes and bring to a boil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Reduce heat to a simmer and simmer, uncovered, for 45 minutes.
- Using an immersion blender, blend tomatoes until mixture is smooth. Stir in coconut milk and remove pot from heat.
- Serve soup topped with basil, cauliflower and ground turkey.
One thought on “Fully Loaded Tomato Soup”
I’ve been making more soups as well. On the other hand, what a healthy meal! 🍃🍅