I feel like I’m quickly running out of counter space.
I’ve got my cannisters, a cookie jar (that’s consistently empty), an air fryer, a double-Keurig (one that makes a pot and a cup), toaster and knife block all spread throughout my kitchen.
My kitchen isn’t small by any stretch of the imagination, but I just have too much stuff. If I need to get out the food processor or crockpot, I have to strategically place it. It’s getting more and more difficult with every new small appliance I buy.
One could say I should downsize, but what’s the fun in that? I also need everything I have on the counter. At least I think I need it.
I managed to squeeze my crockpot onto a small amount of real estate on my far counter this weekend. It was a pain trying to get everything in without hitting a cabinet that sits so close to the counter. I’ll have to re-evaluate my crockpot space next time I whip it out.
This recipe is one of those “throw it in and see if it works” type of meals. While I did struggle with crockpot placement, I didn’t struggle with actually making this meal. I just threw in a jar of pasta sauce, a can of tomatoes, some spices and let everything get to work.
I’d move mountains for this recipe again, though. It was so dang good. I served this over some yellow lentil pasta that left much to be desired, but the pasta sauce really saved it.
Top this sauce off with some fresh basil and you’ve got yourself a very fine slow-cooker made sauce.
Slow Cooker Tomato-Basil Chicken
Chicken in a creamy tomato-basil sauce made in the slow cooker that goes well with pasta.
- 1 (16 oz) jar pasta sauce (marinara)
- 1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes with basil & garlic
- 1 small can evaporated milk
- 2 TBS. corn starch
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 TBS. Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 2-4 large chicken breast
- Fresh basil, for topping
- Cooked pasta, for serving
- Pour pasta sauce and diced tomatoes into a large slow cooker.
- In a small bowl, stir together evaporated milk and corn starch. Add to slow cooker.
- Stir in garlic and 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning and 1/4 tsp. black pepper. Stir until well combined.
- Top with chicken. Season chicken with remaining Italian seasoning, black pepper, and salt.
- Cook on low for 4-5 hours or until chicken reaches 165 degrees.
- Serve chicken sliced with sauce over pasta and topped with fresh basil.