I like to incorporate a meatless meal at least once a week.
Sometimes my meatless meal is simple: oatmeal for breakfast.
Other times, I go out on a limb and make a meatless dinner. It’s hard breaking out of that mindset that you HAVE to have a protein and it HAS to be meat.
It’s easy to make a meatless meal out of beans, though, or in this case, chickpeas. They’re packed full of protein and will fill you up. I’ve been known to eat beans and rice for dinner, or just eat a big ol’ bowl of beans by itself.
Chickpeas are versatile and a great vessel to soak up flavor. Case in point: this General Tso’s version of chickpeas. The longer you let them steep in the flavorful sauce, the more they’ll soak up that flavor.
I served this over brown rice and sauteed up some vegetables that I also tossed with a bit of the General Tso’s sauce. This was a great meatless meal and a good recipe if you want to dip your toe in the meatless world.
General Tso's Chickpeas and Vegetables
A flavorfull meatless meal with chickpeas and stir-fried vegetables in a sweet and spicy General Tso's-style sauce.
- In a small saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon of oil over medium-high heat. Add garlic and saute until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in broth, sugar, rice vinegar, soy sauce, cornstarch slurry, red pepper flakes and tomato paste.
- Let mixture come to a boil and then reduce heat to simmer. Let simmer until thickened, about 4-5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- In a large wok or skillet, heat remaining tablespoon of oil over medium-high heat. Add green onion and red pepper and saute for 3-4 minutes. Stir in mushrooms and broccoli and stir-fry until crisp-tender, about 4-5 minutes. Remove to a bowl.
- Spoon 2 spoonfuls of sauce over veggies and toss.
- Add chickpeas to skillet/wok and stir in remaining sauce. Let mixture cook, over medium-low heat, for 7-8 minutes.
- Serve chickpeas and veggies over rice.
2 thoughts on “General Tso’s Chickpeas and Vegetables”
Sounds like something I should try. The ingredient list has me nodding my head. 😋🌿
It’s worth a try! I really enjoyed it.