If you’re one of those people who like to have a plan for everything, then you’re my kind of person.
I like structure. I like planning for the worst-case scenario. I like routine.
If anything unexpected comes up, I can lose my cool really quick.
I meal prep lunches for the work week. If I don’t get around to it, my whole week is out of whack. I’ll wander around aimlessly like a chicken with its head cut off. It may not seem like a big deal, but not meal-prepping for the week can seriously affect my whole vibe.
I rarely work a real breakfast into my meal-prep routine. Usually I’ll eat overnight oats or a smoothie. The last few weeks, though, I’ve been cooking a big breakfast on Sunday and portioning them out for the week.
These quick breakfast burritos are perfect for meal-preppers. All you have to do is make a big batch of eggs, sausage and potatoes then portion them out into 14 burritos. That’s a lot–but they will last you a long time.
I tried to save some calories by using turkey sausage, low carb tortillas (that cut 30 calories), and low-fat cheese. In total, one burrito will run you about 379 calories.
Grab-and-Go Breakfast Burritos
A quick, make-ahead breakfast burrito with potatoes, peppers, turkey sausage, eggs and cheese.
- In a large pan, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium high heat. Add turkey sausage, breaking up with a wooden spoon into smaller chunks. Cook until browned all the way through, about 7-8 minutes. Remove to a large bowl.
- Beat eggs in a large bowl with salt and pepper. Pour into pan you cooked sausage in, adding cooking spray if you need to so eggs don’t stick. Scramble until soft and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes. Remove to a large bowl.
- Heat remaining oil in same skillet. Add potatoes o’Brien (frozen) and cook on one side for 7-8 minutes. Flip and continue cooking until other side is browned, about 5-6 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Assemble your burritos: on a square of foil, add a tortilla, then one spoonful of eggs, a spoonful of sausage, and a spoonful of potatoes. Sprinkle less than a quarter cup of cheese on top. Fold in the ends the roll up into a burrito. Wrap in foil and then refrigerate until ready to serve. Repeat with remaining burritos.
- To reheat: unwrap burrito from foil and place on a microwave-safe dish. Microwave for 30-45 seconds until warmed through.