Ok y’all, this recipe is a whacky one, so stay with me.
I felt like some chicken and dumplings the other day but I wanted to make them *different*. I wasn’t quite sure how I wanted to make the soup unique until I spotted this recipe in a cookbook I picked up in Texas a few weeks ago.
The main ingredient had me baffled: stuffing dumplings. Dumplings made of stuffing.
The longer I read the recipe, the more it made sense. Stuffing dumplings are held together with egg and flour, and act almost exactly like a regular dumpling would.
A lot of people on TikTok said this soup was basically Matzo ball soup, but with stuffing instead of matzo meal. That’s a pretty good comparison, actually.
This soup ended up being pretty darn good. Is it as good as regular chicken and dumplings? I don’t think so. But it’s a fun experiment and a great way to make something “different”.
Chicken and Stuffing Dumpling Soup
A savory chicken and dumpling soup made with stuffing.
- In a large pot, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion, carrots and mushrooms. Saute until browned and onions are translucent, about 5-6 minutes. Stir in garlic, sage, thyme and poultry seasoning. Let cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Pour chicken broth and water into pot. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer. Simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- In a small bowl, stir together eggs and flour until a thick paste forms. Stir that into cooked stuffing mixture and mix well. Using hands, roll stuffing mixture into 1″ balls (makes about 12-14 balls).
- Stir cooked chicken, cabbage and green beans into soup pot. Season with salt and pepper. Continue simmering for another 10-12 minutes.
- Drop stuffing balls gently into soup, one by one. Let mixture cook for another 10 minutes, stirring lightly. Serve.
One thought on “Chicken & Stuffing Dumpling Soup”