A friend of mine posed this question on Facebook a few weeks ago, and it really struck a chord with me:
Why has getting gas become such a burdensome chore?
It’s the one of the easiest things we do as adults. Heck, with technology over the last two decades, we barely even have to get out of the car to get a few gallons of gas. And if you’re one of the lucky ones living in Jersey, you don’t have to get out of your car at all to get gas.
But over the past few years, I’ve found myself loathing having to stop for gas. Making the trend even weirder, I can’t explain why. I’m not scared. I have plenty of money to get it. There’s nothing wrong with my car.
But yet again, I’ll drive on fumes before forcing myself to exit off a highway and into a gas station. This morning was a prime example of that: When I left work yesterday, I realized I needed gas.
I’ll get it before work in the morning.
“Before work in the morning” came and went.
I’ll make sure and fill up before I hit the highway to head home.
Nope. I forgot. I honestly thought I might run out of gas on my way home before I (praise Jesus) made it to the Love’s by my house.
But why? Why did I do this?? Why do I continue to do this?!?
One of life’s greatest mysteries I suppose.
I guess I could have been distracted by mid-morning snack today: cream cheese & bacon stuffed mini peppers.
Have y’all tried those mini bell peppers they sell in the grocery store now? They are incredible. I feel like they’re sweeter than their larger companions. Crunchier. Yummier.
I’ve used them countless times. I’ve roasted them for a salad. Stuffed them with a Philly cheesesteak mixture. Eaten them straight out of the bag with nothing on them—they are that good.
Being the avid fan of jalapeno poppers that I am, I put these mini peppers to use in a “raw” deconstructed-style version. The only thing I cooked was the bacon (duh) before stuffing the succulent little niblets with cream cheese, cheddar, and fresh jalapeno.
I’m so glad I can still eat poppers, of any version, while on keto.
Football season is so close we can taste it…and with these little party favors, you can, too.
Mini Pepper Party Poppers
Jalapeno, bacon and cheese stuffed sweet mini peppers for the perfect party finger food.
- 1 bag (about a pound) of mini bell peppers, tops cut off and seeds scraped out
- 2 jalapeno peppers, minced
- 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 6 slices bacon
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line a baking sheet with foil and spread out bacon in one even layer. Bake for 20 minutes or until browned and crispy. Let cool before crumbling.
- In a large bowl (or stand mixer) add cream cheese, cheddar, jalapeno and crumble in bacon. Stir (or beat with mixer) until mixture is smooth.
- Using a butter knife (that’s what I used—trust the process!) stuff cream cheese mixture into hollowed out peppers. Serve cold.