One thing I love about the summer months is all the wonderful side dishes.
They usually steal the show at any cookout you’re at. We’ve all had burgers and hot dogs before, but have you ever seen a super pink ambrosia? How about elote pasta salad? Maybe tried a broccoli-ramen slaw?
I love making different potato, pasta and vegetable salds in the summer months. I’ll experiment and tinker with old favorites and then try something completely new most months.
I’ve done plenty of broccoli salad recipes, but none quite like this. This recipe has the makings of an old school classic (bacon & sunflower seeds) but it throws in some new ingredients that are different (Greek yogurt & apples).
It was quite refreshing when I had it as a side with lunch last week. It’s sweet, salty and tangy. That’s the hallmarks of a good side salad for the summer.
Broccoli Apple Salad
A classic broccoli salad with a twist: apples and Greek yogurt make this salad sweet and creamy.
- 1 Honeycrisp apple, diced
- 2 heads broccoli, cut into florets
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 2 TBS. apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup Greek yogurt
- 4 strips bacon, cooked & crumbled
- In a large bowl, mix together brococli and apple. Stir in cranberries and sunflower seeds. Pour in apple cider vinegar, mayonnaise and Greek yogurt. Stir until well combined.
- Stir in or top broccoli salad with crumbled bacon and serve. Can be refrigerated for a few days in an airtight, sealed container.