Sometimes, all you want for dinner is something that you can make with one pan and one pan only. There’s nothing worse than preparing a recipe and finding out you have to use 10 different pots, pans, bowls, and plates. Where’s the fun in that?! You’ll spend the rest of your evening doing dishes instead of reveling in your delicious dinner-making glory.
When you find a food one-pot or one-pan dinner, you’ll never want to go back to the kitchen chaos of using multiple pans to cook. That’s exactly what happened when I made this recipe.
Um, why have I been stressing myself out with making complex recipes? Seriously, sometimes the more simple a recipe the better it tastes. All that’s in this tasty one-pan dinner is chicken, veggies, some spices and broth. That’s it. And it’s wonderful!
I especially love all of the different flavors of this dinner. You’ve got the sweetness from the sweet potatoes and apples, savoriness from the bacon and chicken, tartness from the apples and then spiciness from the cinnamon and thyme. Throw in some chicken thigh meat and Brussels sprouts, and you have yourself a well-rounded meal. And the best part? Only having to use one pan, of course.
Chicken & Veggie Skillet Dinner
A hearty, no-carb dinner made up of brussels sprouts, sweet potatoes and chicken.
- 1 TBS. olive oil
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into bite-size pieces
- salt & pepper
- 4 slices thick-cut bacon, diced
- 1 lb. Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 Granny Smith apples, cored and cubed (I kept the peels on)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 cup chicken broth (I use low-sodium broth)
- Heat oil in a large skillet or Dutch oven over medium high heat. Add the chicken and salt and pepper. Cook until browned and cooked through, about 5-8 minutes. Remove to a paper-towel lined plate.
- Add bacon to skillet/Dutch oven and cook until crispy. Remove to paper-towel lined plate (I just added a paper towel on top of the chicken and put the bacon there). Discard most of the bacon grease, keeping 1.5 tablespoons in the pan.
- Add Brussels sprouts, sweet potato, and onion. Cook, stirring occasionally, until crisp-tender, about 15-20 minutes. Stir in the apples, garlic, thyme and cinnamon. Stir and cook for about a minute and then stir in the chicken broth. Bring to a boil and cook for about 5 minutes. Add reserved chicken and bacon, stir until everything is well combined. Cook until heated through, about 5 more minutes.
Heat oil in a large skillet or Dutch oven over medium high heat. Add chicken, salt and pepper. Cook until browned, about 5-8 minutes. Remove to a paper-towel lined plate.
Add bacon to skillet/Dutch oven and cook until crispy. Remove to a paper-towel lined plate and drain off all but 1.5 tablespoons of the bacon grease. Add Brussels sprouts, sweet potato and onion and cook until crisp-tender, about 15-20 minutes.
Stir in the apples, garlic, thyme and cinnamon. Stir and cook for about 1 minute and then add the chicken broth. Bring to a boil and cook for about 5 minutes. Stir in the chicken and bacon and cook until heated through, about another 5 minutes.